Hot Rod Forum banner

3M Bristle Discs - Anyone use these?

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  wildthing 
#1 ·
Somewhere in my travels I saw a recommendation for 3M bristle discs to remove surface rust and paint from panels. Anyone try these? What do you think? My car was soda blastd and primed, then set under a tarp for months outside. The panels have plenty of surface rust & cheapo primer that I need to get off. Thanks in advance, Darren

http://www.shop3m.com/61500139011.html?WT.z_xsell=1&WT.z_refSKU=61500151461

#3 ·
I am certainly no body man and have never used them, but you might want to consider what you are going to coat the parts with when you start over.

If you use epoxy primer (which is what I will be doing), read the recommendations for the product you will be using. I am using SPI epoxy and it recommends things be sanded with 80 grit.

I do use the 2" roloc disks in tight places though. I think they are 50 grit.

As far as paint removal..I have been getting the majority of it off with paint stripper.

If it has been blasted and sprayed with cheap primer...i bet it comes off pretty easily with whatever method you choose.

#4 ·
We use small (1 inch) bristle disk for cleaning corrosion up around rivet heads at work. They work well for that, the little finger go around the rivet head and clean up tight to the rivet. Never tried a larger one for anything else. I would think a scotchbrite disk or strip and clean disk like others had mentioned may work better for rust in paint removal. Actually I remove paint and minor surface rust by sanding with a 8" mudhog or a da, and would save the scotchbrite disk for pitted areas, if I didn't have a blaster.
The bristle disks I believe are fairly expensive and the fingers wear down fairly quickly at least how we use them.

#5 ·
Thanks for the input guys. I think one of the selling points I heard was the design keeps heat down due to the air between the finger bristle things. The 50 grit they come in will probably mean I'll pass & just use a DA with 80 grit. If they were available in 80 grit I'd try one. I may find a place for one somewhere before it's all said and done, but for now I'll skip it.

Brian, I'll be using Epoxy primer too, likely from Southern Poly as well. I agree it makes sense to follow the process they recommend.

#6 · (Edited)
3M Scotch-Brite Bristle brush

Huckmag said:
Thanks for the input guys. I think one of the selling points I heard was the design keeps heat down due to the air between the finger bristle things. The 50 grit they come in will probably mean I'll pass & just use a DA with 80 grit. If they were available in 80 grit I'd try one. I may find a place for one somewhere before it's all said and done, but for now I'll skip it.

Brian, I'll be using Epoxy primer too, likely from Southern Poly as well. I agree it makes sense to follow the process they recommend.
I have used these types of products before and they work great. No heat distortion. They are primarily used to strip paint and coating on airplanes, engine heads, and work on paint as well. I have been able to clean out extreemly rusty areas that are paper thin without damaging the metal. And when the bristle cleans it cleans all the way to nice shiny metal.

I typically use the 50 grit and go over it with a 80 grit DA and then I am good to go with paint.

* For the 1", 2" and 3" a pneumatic right angle grinder will work fine.

* An electric 4.5" grinder is highly recomened for the 4.5" discs. The bristle really like the torque from the electric tool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.