3M Film Protector, anyone using this stuff? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2011, 09:05 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

3M Film Protector, anyone using this stuff?

I just painted my car and want to keep it from becoming all battered up by rocks and bugs and what not. Anyone using a front vinyl film for protecting their investment? Also, does anyone know if the film comes in a matte finish? My car is now matte black (HR0010 paint kit) and I don't want it to be glossy on the areas where I have it protected and dull everywhere else.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-05-2011, 11:56 PM

Last photo:

It really isnt made to do large sections like that. I think it will look worse if you put it on there than if you have some stone chips.
Old 09-06-2011, 08:52 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighotroddin
It really isnt made to do large sections like that. I think it will look worse if you put it on there than if you have some stone chips.
Well I did find this place that sells it in sheets in whatever length and varying widths.

http://www.xpel.com/products/stealth_film.asp

I'm thinking that it being matte would keep it close to what the rest of the car will be, but obviously there will be a difference with the color. I may drive it for a bit to see how it holds up. It's acrylic enamel, but not sure how that does relative to a eurethane with a clear coat.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:28 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Not sure if it's the same product, but 3m does make a product often used on new cars for protecting the front end, first foot or two of the hood, flared fenders, mirrors, etc.

We have it on our 335i and it works great. It does get battered up, but if we ever go to sell, we can peel it off and have a front end that looks brand new.

Just be sure you're all past your curing/gassing time on the paint before you start laying stuff on it.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:31 PM

Last photo:

Thanks! I went ahead and bought the Xpel stuff, 24"x7'. The front of my car is very contoured so I don't know how well it will go on all the places, but I think I will end up doing it on most of the front end. For instance, I have headlight recessed areas that I think would be just about impossible to do with a single sheet, so probably just trim around that area. I'll post pictures once I get it put on.
Old 09-15-2011, 06:55 PM

Last photo:

I use the same material manufactured by 3M that the auto companies put on to protect finishes. I live on a dirt road, so I cut pieces to fit the rockers on my 67 Fairlane. When I get to my first stop off the dirt road, I pull it off. In the last two years, I don't have one stone chip on the rockers. One tip, make sure you you clean the area thoroughly. I use Qwik Detailer.

If you call 3M's hotline, they can tell you where you can buy it in your area. Eastwood used to sell endrolls of the stuff. About 15 feet. It was way too expensive, and you can get the full rolls pretty cheap from a suppler.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.