Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 3M masking tape
Thread: 3M masking tape
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 09:49 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Tape

I have some pretty firm ideas about tape.
First...like has been stated, the blue paper like tape at the Depot is for house painting, and I really warn you against using it on auto paint.
They make a blue "Fine Line" for auto work, as well as the green stuff, which is THE ONLY THING I WILL USE when it touches the paint. The tan 3M stuff is also my tape of choice, and I have learned over the years it is just NOT worth the risk to try and save a few pennies.
Just like ittook me years to finally figure out that using news paper as masking was hurting me more than helping because of the lint and various little holes. Now I buy good quality rolled masking paper, and I sprung for a taping machine that puts the tape on the paper as I pull it out. I thought it was a silly luxury, but it has saved me so many hours over the years.
ALWAYS check the date on the tape you buy!
Age and heat are the enemies of masking tape.
That is why I buy from the jobber. They seem to sell a lot of tape and the stock gets rotated, and does not go stale.
If I get an old batch I will return it to them.
My jobber will also call me when he has some old stock, and gives me a reduced price, but I only use it on non critical stuff.
There may be better stuff out there than 3M but I just got tired of experimenting and looking for it.
Good luck to ya!