3M polyester body filler opention - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2010, 06:34 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

3M polyester body filler opention

What do you guys think about the normal 3M lightweight body filler? the one in the green can like this: )

My local o'reilly auto parts has a whole pallet (almost) of gallon size cans on sale for $7.99 each. I thought about buying a few cans to stock up wile its cheap. but since Bondo brand is made by 3m, Ive stayed away from 3M brand body fillers in the past. I normally use USC products and sometimes evercoat. Dose anyone know how well the 3m filler compares to other brands, or have any good or bad experiences with it?

I normally pay around $30 per gallon for USC feather-rite or fuzion fillers. So this could save me some money down the road, But not if it is crap and falls out after a year. I figure most 3M products are top notch, their body filler should be the same. Then I remember Bondo brand

Thanks for your time!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2010, 06:39 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
I don't know anything about it, but I have to ask, how much is the savings really worth for you to go out of your comfort zone? So you save 20 bucks, how far does that gallon go usually for you? I don't think it is worth it, but only you can say if it is for you.

On the SMC filler, I use only Evercoat products and Evercoats "FiberTech" for SMC is top knotch.

Brian
Old 03-12-2010, 08:19 PM

Last photo:

3M, Bondo, Dynatron and Marson are now all the same company, I doubt you would have any complaints with 3M filler. Marson's Platinum Plus lightwieght Gold is really fine.

3M fillers
Old 04-28-2010, 02:07 PM

Last photo:

I just got some of the dynatron Xtra grip and am not happy with it. I have been using Evercoat Z grip. This Dynatron stuff is about half the price and takes twice the effort to sand. It also hardens quicker causing me to waste about 25-50% of it. That causes me to have to work quicker (to be read as "put more on"), which causes more sanding. I may need shoulder surgery after this car is done!
Old 04-28-2010, 02:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

I would not buy it on sale, usually that stuff goes for $10-15/gal, and for that stuff to be marked cheap like that, it is probably bad in some way...

but most Evercoat products are in the $20-30 range at Napa for a gallon, and IMO I would rather spend $30 on somthing that was known good, rather than waste $20 on crap
Old 04-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Last journal entry: Box is back on the truck
Last photo:

I agree, I use Evercoat products as well. There are enough obstacles in a paint job that I would not try to save $20 and have to redo costing way more than $20 in products and time.
Old 04-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Hot rods are still the king

Last photo:

I have used the Dynatron dynalight and had more craters then the moon so I went back to evercoat rage
Old 05-01-2010, 03:47 AM

Last journal entry: Box is back on the truck
Last photo:

Its nice to have the experience to stick to what works for you. On the other hand you could pick up a can try it out on anything if it seems fine you may have found something you like and go back and buy more. We have all learned from trail and error.

What a great place to try something new that is on sale. If it is no good let us know and thanks for taking one for the team.
Old 05-01-2010, 04:57 AM

Last photo:

I've used some 3m spot finishing filler I got from work and 3m bodyfiller I got on sale at a local auto parts store, and was not a fan of either (I think it was the same can you have pictured) Both seemed hard to work with and sand. Actually think the regular bondo brand you find at almost every hardware store is easier to work with then I remember that 3m stuff being. Allthough other bondo products I have used didn't seem all that bad, such is marson platinum or even the cheap (at least when it comes to a finishing filler) dynatron putty cote
Evercoat liteweight is not much more then that I believe, and have gotten cheaper then the bondo brand at your chain stores, so I'd probably just stick with the evercoat brand, which has some good products.
Old 05-03-2010, 05:47 PM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpsyclonex2002
I just got some of the dynatron Xtra grip and am not happy with it. I have been using Evercoat Z grip. This Dynatron stuff is about half the price and takes twice the effort to sand. It also hardens quicker causing me to waste about 25-50% of it. That causes me to have to work quicker (to be read as "put more on"), which causes more sanding. I may need shoulder surgery after this car is done!
It's Z grip for me ...I siopped looking for cheaper bondo years ago...I hear a lot of great things about Platinum plus but I just cant change...
Old 05-04-2010, 10:54 AM
Colorsanding painter

Last photo:

This stuff gums up paper and sands like crap. I had somebody picked it up a while back on a tow truck project I was doing for a race track. i told them Rage Gold and they brought this crap out, the parts guy said it was just as good as Rage Gold but only 12.00. I tried it and hated it. I didn't use enough of it to determine if it pinholes bad either. I tried it on one fender and even tried letting it sit for a couple days after application and it still gummed up the paper when i sanded it. 3M will make up the filler cost savings with excessive abrasive sales to remove the junk.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.