Hot Rod Forum banner

3M Trizac pad question

3K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  Rob Keller 
#1 ·
I have a couple questions for any of you who have used the 3M trizac 3000 grit pads , do you use it wet or do you use it dry ? Also how long should it last if I am going over 2000 grit , will it go a long ways , say 1/2 of a smaller car like a Mustang , or is it about done after 1 panel ? I used it a while back and it seemed to do nothing but I am wanting to give it another try and see if I can make the compounding /polishing process a bit easier , any info will be greatly appreciated .

#3 ·
Use them wet, but with an air operated DA, not electric :pain: . You should be able to do an entire car with one or two pads. They hardly remove any material at all. You should wind up with a dull sheen after first using 2000 than the pad. They really cut down on buffing time.

Vince

#4 ·
"Wet" is a relative term with these pads.
You want them "wet" enough to "lubricate" them with but not WET as in soaking or constantly running water like wet sanding.
The idea is to use a spray bottle and mist water on as you go,the pad should "foam" up as it lightly cuts.You want just enough water to keep it moving otherwise,it's just floating on the excess water and doing nothing.
Dry and they won't go far if much at all and basically come apart and create a scratched up mess on the clear.
Depending on the size vehicle,2-3 pads average.1 "might" do a complete but I just like to push them that far.

#5 ·
I use the Abralon 4000 grit discs by Mirka and find
they do better at about half the normal speed on my
palm (finish) air sander.
Also a little dish soap in the water spritzed on with a water
bottle works real good.
Probably will do as well with your 3M discs too. :pimp:

#7 ·
I have never used any of this stuff But I was wondering if :?

When I do detailing I have a lube that is used with clay bars {for over spray}would this stuff work with this?

I have used it while old school wet sanding on fully cured paint {old paint}

{As long as there is no silicone in the lube right?}

R :thumbup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.