3rd gen Firebird, clutch disengagement problem - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2002, 04:03 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Unhappy 3rd gen Firebird, clutch disengagement problem

I have a 91 TransAm - it has a fairly recent new Centerforce clutch assy. (1yr. old) Since buying the car... The clutch doesn't COMPLETELY disengage, all of the time. (sometimes better / sometimes worse) It has a hydraulic clutch - as those will likely be able to help me would know.

I SUSPECT my problem comes from a FACTORY boo-boo in the amount of slave cylinder travel...and the Centerforce clutch's parts need just a TAD more 'throw' that stock stuff. There are no adjustments to help. There is a small piece of plastic inside the cupped hole, on the end of the clutch-fork...where the slave cylinder rod pushes on the fork. ( a Factory "fix", to address the problem???) I can't get help from local dealers, they don't list this little plastic bit. I think it's mashed / worn. I think - maybe - if I can find a new one of these little clutchfork 'shim'cups - it will solve the problem ??? Anybody else out there had this annoying thing to deal with? The Clutch master and slave are not leaking. All is fine, until I go to put the car into 1st / reverse when at a stop. Gears refuse to engage - or 'grind' when they do. Help?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2002, 05:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

A custom machined pushrod that is adjustable might be a wise investment, just make sure to heat treat the ends. At any rate a partial disassembly to check with a feeler gauge how much clearance there is under the clutch plate when the pedal is depressed might be in order, 0.010" is what I consider a minimum with 0.025" a better clearance dimension for everyday use.

[ August 04, 2002: Message edited by: 4 Jaw Chuck ]</p>
Old 08-04-2002, 08:12 PM

Thumbs up

Thanks Mr.LatheGuy... ( your 'handle' explains your ingenious solution)

That may be the way I will eventually have to solve this...I could buy a stock one ( if they have THAT, in the Gm parts catalog)...and get some guy who's good with 4 jaws, to make me an adjustable one out of it. I might even be able to do this with a vise / hacksaw and a thread-die...on my lunch hour. ( a threaded turnbuckle nut in the middle - with locknuts, comes to mind) That way I can keep driving the car until the custom part is ready.
Heck if this works good, maybe I'll sell a few of'em here. I don't plan to keep this car.... I hope to get a vehicle with a Pentastar on the right front fender, someday.

Thanks again! - Tom
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.