3x2 cadillac E.F.I. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 03:52 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

3x2 cadillac E.F.I.

Hello All,

i have a 1983 cadillac coupe deville with a 4.1 in it now but located a 425cub. in. was thinking fabbing my own intake and use 3 throttle bodies and have a trip set up on it but now here my question, the cadillac injectors are low inpedance, can 4 more injectors be added to my ECU because i'd like to keep all the stock system with my mileage data center and on board ECU reading, the cadillac carries 7 p.s.i. for the fuel system was thinking placing a secound fuel pump along the frame rail to help with the extra fuel load i'm planning on using the center throttle body from a 368 and the outer throttle bodies from a 4.1 an one T.P.S. and 368 dist. or can i use the throttle body from a 454 chevy, but uses the I.A.C. not the I.S.M. that the 80's cadillac used, tring to keep it so passes state laws with emissions, keeping air pump and cats on the car fabbing my own headers with air tubes and and air tubes to feed air to the cats, so any one with any help and info be greatful!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Hates: Liver. Loves: Diesel

Last wiki edit: How to find cheap parts
Last journal entry: 1999-2001: Getting it on the road
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 16

Nothing you describe will pass NY emissions. No mix 'n' match will do, you have to update to a complete and intact motor of the same or newer year. All of the emissions equipment must be in place, operational, and your car will then have to pass tailpipe emissions for the ENGINE'S year.

You also won't be able to fabricate any of this yourself. The intake and headers would be an instant fail. They must carry a CARB EO number to pass a visual inspection. You can have them certified, but it requires bringing a running model to CA and paying the CARB and EPA about $10,000 to test it PER item. If they fail, you're out $20,000. If they pass, you just paid $20,000 for an intake and headers.

If you're talking about adding injectors to an old 425 EFI system, forget it. They are the absolute in simplicity and they are analog. You would have to run them all through relays and the computer will flip its lid. If you're talking about adding them to the 4.1, chances are you'll fry it. Adding 4 low-impedance injectors to the system is basically cutting the already low load in a third.

You're talking some really custom stuff that even the 1983 system just will have no way of understanding.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I am saying that your approach isn't really feasible.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:59 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
Nothing you describe will pass NY emissions. No mix 'n' match will do, you have to update to a complete and intact motor of the same or newer year. All of the emissions equipment must be in place, operational, and your car will then have to pass tailpipe emissions for the ENGINE'S year.

You also won't be able to fabricate any of this yourself. The intake and headers would be an instant fail. They must carry a CARB EO number to pass a visual inspection. You can have them certified, but it requires bringing a running model to CA and paying the CARB and EPA about $10,000 to test it PER item. If they fail, you're out $20,000. If they pass, you just paid $20,000 for an intake and headers.

If you're talking about adding injectors to an old 425 EFI system, forget it. They are the absolute in simplicity and they are analog. You would have to run them all through relays and the computer will flip its lid. If you're talking about adding them to the 4.1, chances are you'll fry it. Adding 4 low-impedance injectors to the system is basically cutting the already low load in a third.

You're talking some really custom stuff that even the 1983 system just will have no way of understanding.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but I am saying that your approach isn't really feasible.
My state; Connecticut, has a 25 yr old exempt statute. NY?? maybe??
Old 09-16-2008, 08:20 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtis73
nope, unless it's in the Metro area, this does not apply.. '95 or older, no emissions testing ( '96-present, gets plugged in, but no sniffer ), but emissions equipment for that year car needs to be intact but he knows that.
Old 09-16-2008, 09:47 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
nope, unless it's in the Metro area, this does not apply.. '95 or older, no emissions testing ( '96-present, gets plugged in, but no sniffer ), but emissions equipment for that year car needs to be intact but he knows that.
Oh... my mistake. I thought the whole state went to sniffer every two years.

Fact remains... both of the computers he's discussing won't even take the extra injectors, let alone a fabbed intake and headers.

Ralph... maybe an aftermarket computer like MegaSquirt?
Old 09-17-2008, 01:12 PM

Last photo:

1996 an up only has emmissions testing anything 1995 and down only has a safey check
Old 09-17-2008, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

i know a guy fab an intake using 2 holley 4 barrel injector bodies and used his stock 305 chevy ECU
Old 09-17-2008, 01:24 PM

Last photo:

i want to use the ECU thats in the car from factory the 1983 ECU hell i'll go to pennsylvania get it on the road get it legal, they only look you have a cat an egr valve
Old 09-17-2008, 01:25 PM

Last photo:

ok where do i fid a mega squirt ECU
Old 09-17-2008, 01:47 PM

Last photo:

http://bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

Quote:
i know a guy fab an intake using 2 holley 4 barrel injector bodies and used his stock 305 chevy ECU
Without knowing what year and what ECU, that doesn't really say much. If its the common "747" ECU, its quite possible with a lot of hacking, additional relays, and custom chip burning that he could have achieved what you say, but your 83 Caddy is a whole different story. It is a very primitive, unadaptable computer.

We can help you if you want, but being argumentative and unrealistic isn't the way to get help here.
Old 09-17-2008, 02:19 PM

Last photo:

i said it's a 1983 cadillac coupe deville with a 4.1 using the 1983 ECU from the cadillac. i've taken and but a 425 in another cadillac and used the 1985 cadillac ECU and a 368 dist. and 368 intake and throttle body car ran fine, and i'm not being argurmentive, just asking questions, these are just thoughts on my engine if not i'll just put the 425 in with 368 intake and throttle body and i've fab intakes before for other cars but used carbs on them, and i've fab headers for many cars and never had any problem with inseptions, as long theres air tubes if car has them and a EGR valve and has the cats no sniffer pipe test here, and where my family lives in pennsyvania theres no emissions testing at all just look if theres cats an egr valve,
Old 09-20-2008, 09:54 AM

Last photo:

i'm waiting on reply from megasquirt see what they can do for me!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.