4.3 to 5.7 engine swap? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-25-2011, 01:52 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

4.3 to 5.7 engine swap?

i am going to swap my 4.3tbi for a 5.7tbi. i need to know what all is interchagable and what i need to change out main things i really need to know are if you can use the tbi off the 4.3 for the 5.7 and if you can use the computer or not? any help would be great thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2011, 07:33 AM
454, what turns your crank?

Last journal entry: Replacing bearings and crank
Last photo:

Just a suggestion. Try using a little more punctuation in your sentences and be a lot more specific in your question. To give you a really good answer you need to be more specific. Ie: type of car, what parts you already have, parts in question that you need. Stuff like that.

I have no experience with newer cars and engine swaps, but from what I hear from other people the computer system will not work. Your going to bigger motor, its going to need more fuel, also engine characteristics will be different.

My $.02
Old 10-25-2011, 08:18 AM
Psychomotors

I'm assuming a truck? If so, I did a similar setup in my 86 GMC last year. 4.3/3-speed manual to a 350/350 setup. I can't help with the TBI, as mine had a factory non-electronic Q-jet. If you have a truck, you will have to move the frame mount brackets forward and use different frame and engine mounts(for a V8). That is the worst part of the change(really easy actually)
Old 10-25-2011, 08:30 AM

I dont believe the comp will work because of the fuel issue the 4.3 doesnt take as much fuel as the 5.7 and im almost sure the trottle body will work but you will have decreased power due the the size of the injectors. also something im not sure about is the tranny w/ the 4.3 i know it will bolt right up but i believe they are built a lil different due to less power from the V6. And i'm assuming ur stuffing it in a 1500 instead of an s-10. if so the engine mounts will be the easiest part of the conversion!! JMO
Old 10-29-2011, 08:11 AM

dont answer if you dont know.

if your not going to post useful information then dont post anything at all. and chevykid90 anyone that knows anything about vehicles could answer my question with what i asked they did on other forums and they did at the chevrolet dealership. transmission will work fine computer will work fine as long as the 350 stays stock and injectors would workbut would be better to change them
Old 10-29-2011, 08:38 AM

WELL ANOTHER THING YOU COULD DO IS STAY ON THE OTHER WEBSITES! There are alot of ppl on here with perfect experience with the swap your doing and the site has been very helpful to millions os ppl sorry ur experience with the site was not so wonderful....
Old 10-29-2011, 11:21 AM
454, what turns your crank?

Last journal entry: Replacing bearings and crank
Last photo:

If you already got your answer on other forums than why did you come here and ask the same question? Seems like you already knew the answer to your computer question... Also it just seems logical with these new computer controlled engines that using the parts designed for that specific engine should be used, and not smaller going onto something bigger.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:13 AM

oh i have had plenty of help on this site just not from you. and i posted this one first and hadnt gotten anything useful so i posted a few others
Old 10-30-2011, 06:34 AM
Psychomotors

I'm still curious as to what vehicle this is.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by downen
i am going to swap my 4.3tbi for a 5.7tbi. i need to know what all is interchagable and what i need to change out main things i really need to know are if you can use the tbi off the 4.3 for the 5.7 and if you can use the computer or not? any help would be great thanks
I swapped a setup like yours in an 88 astro van, it screamed.
I kept the same trans and torque converter
I used the same computer
same front engine bracket accesorie drive setup and all
I had to get a tbi intake from a 350 from a salvage yard, as the V6 wouldnt work obviously
I had to change the Dizzy to a salvage yard dizzy from a 350,same as above
the wiring was practically the same
It tuned itself from the PROM in the ECM and ran fine
Fuel pump was not changed
I even used the same radiator
Motor mounts were different, I had to get mounts and engine pedestals from another donor truck.
I had to change the exhaust
I was even able to charge the AC and it worked good
piece of cake, just took time and money
BTW the injector (some models) were different on a 5.7 than those on a 4.3
even though it bolted on , we had to change the Throttle body to a 5.7 one to get it to run right.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:41 PM

thank you that was very helpful info
Old 10-31-2011, 11:22 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
The swap is in what? A 4.3 to 5.7 in a full size pick up or van is one thing and pretty simple. The same swap into an S10/15 is quite something else in terms of effort and cost.

Bogie
Old 11-01-2011, 03:28 AM

its a chevy 1500
Old 11-04-2011, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The injectors themselves will need changed but the body/housing will not, as well as the PROM in the ECM/PCM unless you have chip burning tools. These modules are Year specific and unless you are confident with re-pining to a different ECM/PCM I would just get your modules Service# and find the corresponding 350 EPROM and slap it in. If you don't, it will run, but it won't run properly. Oh,and you might still have to change a few wires around in the harness!
Old 11-04-2011, 11:21 PM
Race The Truck

Last journal entry: Son's Truck
Last photo:

Quote:
First off Your not telling anyone what you starting with I could assume a lot!
If its was a car verse a truck! Now the mechanical swap is the same. But Now that I know it a truck I would point you to a site where this is done all the time and you can read how other have done there trucks! www.fullsizechevy.com
Just remember the more info you give the better the help you will get and one does not assume!! You do no the one about assuming??

Craig

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.