Hot Rod Forum banner

4.3 cam/rockers/springs swap

901 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  vinniekq2 
#1 ·
During the Christmas break I am planning on putting all of this into my 4.3. I called and spoke with Comp Cams and this is what they recommend for my airboat...

Here is my question: Do I have to pull the heads off to do the rocker arms, springs and seals or can I hook up a leak down tester and do 1 cylinder at a time?

I just did the head gaskets like 3 months ago... would prefer to leave them on if possible.

See less See more
#2 ·
Also,

Planning on replacing the timing chain with a OEM replacement kit and new timing chain cover... It would be nice to put a cover that has a timing tab on it instead of the factory one with the two notches in it so that i can have a consistent mark for timing... There doesnt seem to be any aftermarket timing chain covers for a 99 vortec 4.3 with a timing tab... searches have only turned up SBC covers... I would hate to make the assumption that one of those would work and find out otherwise...

I have been setting and checking timing by taping a piece of wire to the timing chain cover and having it protrude from the center of the top notch and over the timing tape I put on the balancer.

Is there any other parts that I should be replacing while I have it apart? Just want to change anything that may have worn while I am there.

Thanks again!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.