Hot Rod Forum banner

4.3 Chevy V6 in a Suzuki Samurai

25K views 12 replies 8 participants last post by  fwinter01 
#1 ·
Has anybody here ever swapped a 4.3 Chevy V6 and a 2004R into a Suzuki Samurai?I am helping my son do it and we are making all the mounts ourselves instead of buying a kit.I was wondering how they set up the transfer case. It is a divorced case. We can figure it out once we get the engine and tranny in place,but if somebody already did it why waste the time.Pics would be nice. Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
speedydeedy said:
Thanks very much. It is of some help but what I am mostly looking for is how they hook the stock transfer case to a 2004R. :thumbup:
Not very easily. The 200-4R has a one-piece case. It was never factory installed in a 4WD vehicle. The only way to use that trans is to use a divorced transfer case. On the other hand, I don't think the 200-4R was ever factory installed behind the 4.3, either. Are you sure you're not talking about a 700R4? Can you just use the GM transfer case that bolts to the 700R4 and just make new driveshafts? That would seem to be easier.

#5 ·
Thanks Joe. There is a company that sells a kit which uses the 4.3 and 2004R because it is shorter than the 700R4. The Samurai has a divorced transfer case. I just can't find out how they do it. I know I can just shorten the drive shaft between the tranny and t-case but was wondering if there was a better way without going to a 700R4 that came with a t-case.The problem is the vehicle is so short that I can't move the t-case too far back or I will have problems with the rear drive shaft.Like I said once I mount the engine and tranny I can figure it out but if somebody already did it why reinvent the wheel. :thumbup:

#6 ·
speedydeedy said:
Thanks Joe. There is a company that sells a kit which uses the 4.3 and 2004R because it is shorter than the 700R4. The Samurai has a divorced transfer case. I just can't find out how they do it. I know I can just shorten the drive shaft between the tranny and t-case but was wondering if there was a better way without going to a 700R4 that came with a t-case.The problem is the vehicle is so short that I can't move the t-case too far back or I will have problems with the rear drive shaft.Like I said once I mount the engine and tranny I can figure it out but if somebody already did it why reinvent the wheel. :thumbup:
If your problem is that you don't want the transfer case too far back, then I'm not sure why you'd stick with a divorced t-case. The 200-4R is about 27.5" long. Obviously, the divorced t-case is behind that. The 4x4 version of the 700R4 is only 23.5" to the mounting face for the t-case if you use an integral one. That would put the t-case 4" forward and avoids any problems with a coupler for the divorced case. If you need it even further forward, the TH350 is another two inches shorter (21.5") to the t-case mounting face.

#9 ·
I think about the only way to figure/find out is to just start tearing into it and put it in there and see what kind of room you have for things.

I think you'r major problem is going to be the rear driveshaft angle using a divorced transfer case,those things have a major short wheelbase so there is not much room for drive line angles unless you drop the whole angle of the driveline to help with the short driveshaft angle,but that also causes less ground clearance..short driveshafts with bad angles on something like that causes vibrations and serious strains on the driveshaft and rear yokes,causing failure quite often.
And being a young guy he will probably want a lift to fit some bigger tires under it too,there goes more driveline problems from the increased angle...

I know about this first hand because i currently have a 95 YJ Jeep Wrangler i have had for quite a few years and planning a FI 5.9 mopar into it and us jeep owners have the same issues when upgrading the drivetrain,but those Samurais have an even shorter wheelbase than the Jeeps so the problem would be the same if not worse to correct.

Alot of guys go with manual trans because they are so much shorter than the auto's,but i like my auto,much nicer for daily driving and much better for control in the mud,rocks and trails.

I am not discouraging you from doing the whole thing,just shedding some light on some of the problems that need planned/solved.

Those Suzuki Samarai's have a big following because of how light they are because they do well in mud and trails,find a good forum for them and search and ask there... i'm sure someone has done the same swap as you are trying to do because the 4.3 V6 is a very popular swap into Jeeps and small 4x4's because of their dependability and power

#10 ·
That sounds like a real fun little ride. Those are pretty tough little SUVs. If you have a divorced T-case, you should be able to get the 2 connected somehow. You might actually be able to do it with just one U-joint and the slip yoke in the tranny. Also I was thinking maybe some sort of industrial connector like a Lovejoy. I've never really seen it done but I see big electric motors in the plant I work at and they use them to smoothly transfer way more torque than your 4.3 can make and some of them run 3450 rpms.

#11 ·
willowbilly3 said:
That sounds like a real fun little ride. Those are pretty tough little SUVs. If you have a divorced T-case, you should be able to get the 2 connected somehow. You might actually be able to do it with just one U-joint and the slip yoke in the tranny. Also I was thinking maybe some sort of industrial connector like a Lovejoy. I've never really seen it done but I see big electric motors in the plant I work at and they use them to smoothly transfer way more torque than your 4.3 can make and some of them run 3450 rpms.
I thank you but it has been finished for a while. I used the original transfer case and mated it to the 200 4R with custom parts I made on my lathe. It turned out great and surprises a lot of people when he blows them away on the street. From the outside you can not tell it was converted so they think it is still a little 4 cyl.I have used a lovejoy in a boat with a 3 cyl. Geo Metro engine.It also works great.On the tranny I used the slip yoke with a flange and no u joint mated to the flange on the transfer case.I just lined it up and solid mounted the tranny and T case.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.