4.3 Engine Number - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-27-2011, 07:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4.3 Engine Number

Hope to make a long story short. I am putting a 1985 4.3 Chevy V6 motor in my old 1928 truck. It fits and has a carburetor and no computer. I found one for the right price and I am happy. With that; I have to get a title for the 1928 as it was used its entire life as a farm truck; no cab card, no license plates. The MN DMV has a protocol that if a vehicle has no identifying marks, the engine number will be used as the new VIN number on the title. So far, so good, but here it comes. The 4.3 engine code number is on the ledge as are all SBC motors. I have decoded MANY of these numbers. This engine stamped number is very difficult to read. I have cleaned it, and can identify part of it and need help with what it should look like and how to find out more about a 4.3... Nasty Z28 does not seem to have this information. Is there another website or expert that does? Is there someone on the board that has a 4.3 that would tell me how many characters I am looking at? The motor was from a 1985 conversion van that was crushed after the motor was removed, no VIN, no title, so no help there either. FYI: I believe the code is 171207TNF ..... The 1207 in the middle is very recognizable. The rest is debatable. Ideas?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-27-2011, 07:45 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

An example of a 1986 Chevy 4.3L V6 code from the right front of the block is:

T0213 UAB
1GF71xxxx (x= numerals)
Old 03-28-2011, 11:39 AM

Last photo:

Thanks

That really helps..... I will go back and take a look at what is in front of the 1207.. It looks like the rest of the number may be correct, or at least good enough to fool a few people at the DMV.... I wonder if the T in the beginning is the kind of engine? There was a T and I believe an N.... I was told that one of those letters should also be stamped somewhere on the front of the block but if it is there, I can't see it.... Thanks again... I will go back and look at the very beginning.....
Old 03-28-2011, 11:45 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by professor229
That really helps..... I will go back and take a look at what is in front of the 1207.. It looks like the rest of the number may be correct, or at least good enough to fool a few people at the DMV.... I wonder if the T in the beginning is the kind of engine? There was a T and I believe an N.... I was told that one of those letters should also be stamped somewhere on the front of the block but if it is there, I can't see it.... Thanks again... I will go back and look at the very beginning.....
The "T" is for the engine plant, in this case Tonawanda. "R" (for Romulus) was also used.

The "0213" above is just a date- Feb. 13th. The "UAB" is a code for what the engine was installed in. In this case it was from a GMC Sierra PU.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:32 PM

Last photo:

Production Date

There is also a bunch of information embossed on the back of the motor and this is covered on Nasty Z.... IE.... it has K304 which means the block was made on October ... K.... (the letter I is not used in the calculation of the month) and the next two were the date.... 30th of the month, and the 4 was 1984...... It also has 4.3LG (I know L = liter) anybody know what the G stands for? Then there is also SG1 and if someone knows what that is I would appreciate a heads up on that as well... Finally, I THINK the last three letters (suffix) is TNF... If UAB is a Sierra truck, does anybody know what a TNF is? I do know the motor came out of a 1985 Conversion van and that is it..... thanks.
Old 03-28-2011, 06:35 PM

Last photo:

Remembered

I just remembered that the G in the 4.3LG stands for "gasoline" because I do believe a diesel block was also made.....
Old 03-28-2011, 06:43 PM
WFO

Last photo:

The "G" is for the fuel, "Gas" in this case.

Don't know what TNF is but it's likely for a van like it was installed in if original. V6 suffix info is scarce- there's some on S10's here.
Old 08-07-2012, 12:49 PM

Last photo:

86 4.3L block info

know this and old posting hopefully someone will respond. My casting # is 10105867 stamped # w9t4fmc any help would be greatful

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.