4.3 GM engine internal parts skematic - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 07:34 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

4.3 GM engine internal parts skematic

Was looking for an internal engine parts skematic

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 05:43 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

What are you looking for??.

Here if you read all of this link,you'll know all about 4.3's.

Rebuilding the New Chevy 262: Engine Builder
Old 10-24-2012, 05:42 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrenchman2002 View Post
Was looking for an internal engine parts skematic
The 4.3L V6 Chevy engine is basically a SBC 350 w/cylinders #3 and #6 removed. The rods are different than the SBC.

A factory manual will show the engine in detail. More info here.
Old 10-24-2012, 10:48 PM

Last photo:

Guys have been saying for yrs a 4.3 is a engine with the two cylinders cut out of it. Facts are the only common thing about a 4.3 with a 350 is the bore size.4.3's have split crankshaft journals and the rods are offset to the bore centerline. The cylinder spacing is completely different.

I bought/built a never used Bowtie 4.3 with a common pin crank when NASCAR ended using them.Spent three times what it would have cost to build a 350 SBC.A real a screamer but expensive $$$$$
Old 10-25-2012, 10:26 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
Guys have been saying for yrs a 4.3 is a engine with the two cylinders cut out of it. Facts are the only common thing about a 4.3 with a 350 is the bore size.4.3's have split crankshaft journals and the rods are offset to the bore centerline. The cylinder spacing is completely different.
Bore spacing is common between the 90 degree V6 engines (200/229/4.3L) and the SBC at 4.4".

Actually most of the architecture is similar: The deck height (9.025"), valve train, pistons, main bearings, cam bearings, oil pump, flex plate, damper, accessories are basically the same. There are some differences w/the oiling system galleries and the later engines have balance shafts, etc. and the 4.3L rod's big ends are bigger and the smaller V6 engine's rods are narrower on the big end, but there are many similarities.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:43 PM

Last photo:

I cover the differences in 4.3 in the provided link. Thing is when I went to the Bowie common pin crank is was in part because of the OEM split crank which only leaves you with two choices.Center the rods and have the pistons wear on the thrust side of the bore or center the pistons having the rod bearings create fiction on the side. The bore spacing on the Bowtie/common pin cranks resolve that problem.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:41 AM
WFO

Last photo:

I understand the difference in rod centering on an odd fire and an even fire crankshaft due to the difference in crankpins. But the crankpins do not dictate the bore spacing. Bore spacing is dictated by the block casting/machining.
Old 10-26-2012, 07:12 AM

Last photo:

Well ok I'll bite even through that isn't what the O/P s asking about bore spacing.If you look at the heads for these 4.3's it is very evident about the bore spacing...........
Old 10-26-2012, 09:01 AM
WFO

Last photo:

Again- NOT the cylinder heads, and NOT the crankshaft dictate the bore spacing of the block. I cannot be any clearer on this.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:10 PM

Last photo:

Just so you know who you are dealing with. I worked at the engine plant for Chevy.Some of that was in the dyno rm. I owned and built a Bowtie common pin crank 4.3 V6 with Brodix heads. It was about 500 hp. I am ASE master. I have spent my entire life in hot rodding which amounts to about 40 yrs. I have dealt with the 4.3's in Astros for about 8 yrs. Sooooooooooooo yey we all know how the casting and machine work dictates the bore spacing.Really kind of elementary info. Ya know??.

So given a lifetime in the business,I disagree with you about the casted bore spacing of the 4.3's being the same as the V8. I already told you you can clearly see it in the lay-out of the heads.

Now can we get this thread back on topic??.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Gary View Post
Just so you know who you are dealing with. I worked at the engine plant for Chevy.Some of that was in the dyno rm. I owned and built a Bowtie common pin crank 4.3 V6 with Brodix heads. It was about 500 hp. I am ASE master. I have spent my entire life in hot rodding which amounts to about 40 yrs. I have dealt with the 4.3's in Astros for about 8 yrs. Sooooooooooooo yey we all know how the casting and machine work dictates the bore spacing.Really kind of elementary info. Ya know??.

So given a lifetime in the business,I disagree with you about the casted bore spacing of the 4.3's being the same as the V8. I already told you you can clearly see it in the lay-out of the heads.

Now can we get this thread back on topic??.
ok I'll bite, then what is the bore spacing??
I already know as we ran v6 in busch
but I want you to answer..
Old 10-26-2012, 02:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
ok I'll bite, then what is the bore spacing??
I already know as we ran v6 in busch
but I want you to answer..
In the Bowtie blocks it is common because that was the way they where cast.That's what I bought was a Busch over stock engine at the Indy Drag Racers auction after they stopped using them.Rick Henrick(sp?) owned it.

Hehe-I'll throw one back at you.Explain why on the OEM's the rods are off-set on the split journal crankshafts.
Old 10-26-2012, 03:14 PM

Last photo:

Well I can't come out and play with you guys until later tonight.

Hummm-If I pass the test as a newbie..............what do I win??.LOL.

Some body going to give me their car??. Ya-that's the ticket.
Old 10-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Banned User

Last photo:

Please 'splain further as i am not trying to argue nor undermine your credibility (as if??) but rather to learn about this engine as Chevrolet themselves state that the bore centers are identical to the 8 cylinder block. Chapter 4, pg. 1 of the Chevrolet power manual.

a) i think the bowtie versions have siamesed cylinders. But then again, the 8 cylinder blocks do too? (pretty sure).

b) i thought any 90 degree v-6 block could accept a common pin crank?

One thing many people may not realize is this small block engine is still being installed in new vehicles---the base 1/2 ton gm pickups 58 years later! Although this year will probably be last.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:32 PM

Last photo:

The primary reason behind the common pin cranks aside from them being a forged crank was it relieve the problem of the off-set pistons fiction robbing power.
The stuff I bought was a ruff forging because the NASCAR race shops wanted to finish machine the way they wanted it. Spendy McFersion (SP??) spend alot of time with me helping me get it to a finished engine.
It was a stroker with a 273 ci.I had it in a Chevette and on the throttle stop it would run the number of 10.90 like clockwork.
My partner told me not to build a odd combo.That things that are not common place costs tons more.This was a race operation that we have been together for 14yrs racing running a number of 9.90 cars and vending SBC small parts for about the same time.

Bottom line is I lost my butt on it when we have been buying distress incomplete race cars,racing them for a yr after finished them out,selling them for a profit.I think we have been together for 40yrs now and to this day he still reminds me about that loss.

If I was to advise someone about a 4.3,I would suggest building to the extent of a turbo version or marine version.If you step beyond that you enter a arena the gets expensive in a hurry.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.