Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 4.3 liter top speed
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 View Post
hcompton, my brain hurts after some of things you post. It's like automotive advice from Charles Manson: Hard to pick through whats there to find something that sounds logical.

Yeah me too!!.

QUOTE=hcompton;1620116]Well the 4.3 is a 350 with two cylinders loped off. and it works great. you can build the crap out of these engines. To say and stock camary would out run it is not really fair since its older. Put the camary engine in a truck and it would run like a turd. 4.3 is setup from the factory for good tq and will out tow and pull the camary engine any day of the week. Now put a cam that is a big as the camary cam with valve timing at high rpm range since they have variable valve timing. and the 4.3 would make north of 300 hp.

Camary engine is also about twice the cost of the s10 motor. car is also about 35 grand for a v6 camary new. s10 was low cost vehicle.

Now that being said take a look at these.
Here is a 1000+ hp 4.3 on the dyno.
Nelson Racing Engines-1073 hp 4.3L V6 - YouTube

And here is the truck with that motor in it.
GMC Typhoon : 1200hp Turbo V6 Drag Race Wheelie - YouTube

S10 is square so it is shaped like a brick. areodynamics is a big issue ask anyone that drags one. They all have bigger motors than low to the ground areodynaimc cars to run the same numbers. Now its not by much but your need more power to push that truck than a normal car.

These truck usally run pretty good most of the time you install a v8 becasue your truck didnt come with the v6. If you got the v6 already and wanted more power a simple bolt on super charger kit will make 300+ hp and that is not going to make anyoen unhappy in and s10.

i think i read that stock ls version with v6 could go 143 mph as far as gearing was concerned but I think those numbers were for 4x4 and of course it will not go that fast just has the gear to go that fast. air resistence will stop it around 125 to 135 for sure at 140 you kinda hit a wall if you dont have major hp to push past it. But like i said before if gearing is off it may not reach that top speed only one way to find out.
You take the most outlandish example in a twin turbo,that too being nothing that resembles a OEM engine,heck,likely not even a OEM block,where the only common thing about it is maybe the Chevy Bowtie on the valve covers and post it for what??Entertainment value??. That is so far removed from real street,Gezzz.

Chad-the provided link I posted will give you options of affordable OEM parts for what are the best heads to use as a example.If you understand how GM got to the highest hp ratings,you can use that to your advantage.Also what swaps and what doesn't.Is there room for improvement using OEM parts??. The answer is yes and all that isn't just in the vein of turbo's.

I got ten yrs invested into Astro/Safari vans.You want to talk about aero issues,those are akin to pushing a pc of plywood down the road.I wouldn't want to be caught dead in one over 100 mph or should I say if I was in one that fast,I would soon be found dead in one.Is your truck as bad as that??. Nope.Thing is,I too question speeds that fast on the street.I don't mind some occasional stop light racing as long as it isn't out of control and lifted long before the speeds are way out of line.Just let logic rain down on you,be safe,so we can read many posts from you in the yrs to come.