4.3 liter top speed - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 09:44 AM
SB S10

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadGresham View Post
It's an SS so it's 2in lower than stock s10s
no they arent, they just have the ZQ8 suspension package. which dont even have the 33mm sway bar. some extremes do along with a rear sway bar though.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 10:22 AM
Supporter of the 4.3 liter V6

Last photo:

Thanks hcomton for a reasonable answer! Good info there and you are right there is only one way to find out, I'll get in that thing and drive it!
Old 12-07-2012, 10:35 AM

Last photo:

Runn141 the definition of zq8 suspension , especially in 96 and newer s10s is lowered suspension (1.5-2in) big stabilizer bars and bilstein shocks, plus an anti hop shock in the rear.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:23 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valkyrie5.7 View Post
hcompton, my brain hurts after some of things you post. It's like automotive advice from Charles Manson: Hard to pick through whats there to find something that sounds logical.

Yeah me too!!.

QUOTE=hcompton;1620116]Well the 4.3 is a 350 with two cylinders loped off. and it works great. you can build the crap out of these engines. To say and stock camary would out run it is not really fair since its older. Put the camary engine in a truck and it would run like a turd. 4.3 is setup from the factory for good tq and will out tow and pull the camary engine any day of the week. Now put a cam that is a big as the camary cam with valve timing at high rpm range since they have variable valve timing. and the 4.3 would make north of 300 hp.

Camary engine is also about twice the cost of the s10 motor. car is also about 35 grand for a v6 camary new. s10 was low cost vehicle.

Now that being said take a look at these.
Here is a 1000+ hp 4.3 on the dyno.
Nelson Racing Engines-1073 hp 4.3L V6 - YouTube

And here is the truck with that motor in it.
GMC Typhoon : 1200hp Turbo V6 Drag Race Wheelie - YouTube

S10 is square so it is shaped like a brick. areodynamics is a big issue ask anyone that drags one. They all have bigger motors than low to the ground areodynaimc cars to run the same numbers. Now its not by much but your need more power to push that truck than a normal car.

These truck usally run pretty good most of the time you install a v8 becasue your truck didnt come with the v6. If you got the v6 already and wanted more power a simple bolt on super charger kit will make 300+ hp and that is not going to make anyoen unhappy in and s10.

i think i read that stock ls version with v6 could go 143 mph as far as gearing was concerned but I think those numbers were for 4x4 and of course it will not go that fast just has the gear to go that fast. air resistence will stop it around 125 to 135 for sure at 140 you kinda hit a wall if you dont have major hp to push past it. But like i said before if gearing is off it may not reach that top speed only one way to find out.
You take the most outlandish example in a twin turbo,that too being nothing that resembles a OEM engine,heck,likely not even a OEM block,where the only common thing about it is maybe the Chevy Bowtie on the valve covers and post it for what??Entertainment value??. That is so far removed from real street,Gezzz.

Chad-the provided link I posted will give you options of affordable OEM parts for what are the best heads to use as a example.If you understand how GM got to the highest hp ratings,you can use that to your advantage.Also what swaps and what doesn't.Is there room for improvement using OEM parts??. The answer is yes and all that isn't just in the vein of turbo's.

I got ten yrs invested into Astro/Safari vans.You want to talk about aero issues,those are akin to pushing a pc of plywood down the road.I wouldn't want to be caught dead in one over 100 mph or should I say if I was in one that fast,I would soon be found dead in one.Is your truck as bad as that??. Nope.Thing is,I too question speeds that fast on the street.I don't mind some occasional stop light racing as long as it isn't out of control and lifted long before the speeds are way out of line.Just let logic rain down on you,be safe,so we can read many posts from you in the yrs to come.
Old 12-07-2012, 01:47 PM
Old & Furious

@gary1 have you ever seen a astro van at the drag strip hanging the front wheels in the air. They are very common. If your astro van is not stable at 100 mph i would think there is something wrong with it. Maybe it need some attention.

Links were to show potentional when it was suggested the motor is not worth upgrading. The v8 does not work well in the s10 its a little heavy if it has cast heads. So the perferred upgrade is the v6. I see them at the drag strip with cheap turbo kits all the time.

Simple cam and efi reprogram will give a nice boost in performance add in an intake and headers should be able to push that brick hard agaist its top end limit.

I also am not going to tell another grown man how to drive. I can only assume the op has a proper place to test and tune his vehicle i do and so do most people that need to on a regular bases. I leave that up to his own good judgement.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:06 PM

Last photo:

Hcomton I appreciate your more acceptable answer, and I plan on doing all the mods you mentioned, as I mentioned in the beginning of my post. And yes I am very safe with my vehicles, I may be young but I'm responsible
Old 12-07-2012, 02:10 PM

Last photo:

1gary, I read your link, great stuff there! Because I also have an 86 c10 with a carbed 4.3 liter before vortec and balance shafts, so it applies to me in more ways than one!
Old 12-07-2012, 02:11 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadGresham View Post
Runn141 the definition of zq8 suspension , especially in 96 and newer s10s is lowered suspension (1.5-2in) big stabilizer bars and bilstein shocks, plus an anti hop shock in the rear.
if the truck your looking at has all that then your good to go high speed.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:20 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by hcompton View Post
@gary1 have you ever seen a astro van at the drag strip hanging the front wheels in the air. They are very common. If your astro van is not stable at 100 mph i would think there is something wrong with it. Maybe it need some attention.

Links were to show potentional when it was suggested the motor is not worth upgrading. The v8 does not work well in the s10 its a little heavy if it has cast heads. So the perferred upgrade is the v6. I see them at the drag strip with cheap turbo kits all the time.

Simple cam and efi reprogram will give a nice boost in performance add in an intake and headers should be able to push that brick hard agaist its top end limit.

I also am not going to tell another grown man how to drive. I can only assume the op has a proper place to test and tune his vehicle i do and so do most people that need to on a regular bases. I leave that up to his own good judgement.
You know what??.Ya missed this"I got ten yrs invested into Astro/Safari vans". Something wrong with my van needing attention??. Do re-frame from talking down to me.Pompous comments like that,your not going to like my replies.

Ya you give me a headache too.Ref's like this:

Naw.

A grown man at 19 yrs old??.Opps you missed that too huh.

READ WHAT IS POSTED WOULD BE A GOOD START FOR YOU!!

And do better than reaching on a shelf for the most recent Hot Rod article or something like it.You obvious don't know much about these 4.3's.

Yeah ten yrs in Astro's all which had 4.3's in them.See it all and done haft of it.
Old 12-07-2012, 02:29 PM

Last photo:

Well besides the misreads and pompous comments, I'm glad I broke the ice with y'all. At least you're giving me better answers than "don't waste your time" or "swap a 350 in it" I will feel better about the truck when I get it and do these mods. Thanks a lot!
Old 12-07-2012, 03:05 PM

H rated tires? come on,,,,
the 4.3 wont likely have enough power to over come the aero dynamics to go 128 mph.you will likely need north of 300 hp
Old 12-07-2012, 08:16 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
H rated tires? come on,,,,
the 4.3 wont likely have enough power to over come the aero dynamics to go 128 mph.you will likely need north of 300 hp
94 models an up are more aerodynamic than you think.
Old 12-07-2012, 08:30 PM

runn141,what is the drag ce of the little truck? curious as to the math to see what exactly is required HP wise to go 128 mph? and 300 HP is not a large amount,just not an easy amount to get with a small engine without spending a few dollars
Old 12-07-2012, 08:56 PM

Last photo:

I was afraid of getting my little motor talked down on by this site. Don't know why everything in the world has to have a 502 big block in it to be fast. 4.3l have potential and that's all that I wanted to hear
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinniekq2 View Post
runn141,what is the drag ce of the little truck? curious as to the math to see what exactly is required HP wise to go 128 mph? and 300 HP is not a large amount,just not an easy amount to get with a small engine without spending a few dollars
i have had 2 96 models and 1 94 4.3 powered s10 trucks. and they had no problem getting to 100 mph before the computer stopped it. i dont think he will have a problem achieving 128mph with just a performance chip. especially if it is lowered.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.