4.3 liter top speed - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 08:08 PM
SB S10

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadGresham View Post
I was afraid of getting my little motor talked down on by this site. Don't know why everything in the world has to have a 502 big block in it to be fast. 4.3l have potential and that's all that I wanted to hear
only thing down about the little motor is it gets around the same mileage as a 502 big block. everyone i ever had did anyway.

Advertisement

Last edited by runn141; 12-07-2012 at 08:14 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-07-2012, 08:15 PM

ChadGresham
you need to do some math
your truck has a CEoD greater than .4 and needs to produce more than 1.2 HP/cube.
Can it be done? easy,,,Can the truck be made more slippery? yes,,,
Are "H" rated tires adequate for your quest? you answer that,,,
There are a few really helpful and knowledgeable people here,will they help you?,,,yes
Old 12-07-2012, 08:23 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

well ChadGresham, i guess the knowledge here says forget even trying.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:03 PM
www.generationhighoutput. com

Last wiki edit: Painting chrome wheels
Last journal entry: Stopping my journal entries here
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 15

Can't believe this thing made it to three pages after being gone only a day Yeesh.

I'm going to back down from being a curmudgeon and get real with you for a second:

I remember being 19 (not too long ago) and thinking that my 96 Mustang GT (which beat up on it's fair share of modified s-10's ) was the coolest thing in the world. Bought into the hype and purchased a bunch of expensive bolt-ons when I probably should have known better. I also listened to "helpful" people that sounded smarter than they were and told me what I wanted to hear. Pissed a bunch of money away that could have been spent smarter to make power, but I learned eventually that even the 4.6L Single cammer has a glass ceiling when in comes to making naturally aspirated power, it's just not as low as the 4.3L v6

You can get offended, or you can look around and see people say that the 4.3L is not a cheap route for making real power. I'm constantly bah humbugging about belly-button SBC swaps... so much so that I got rid of the 350 in my 65 C-10 for a 455 Oldsmobile. So yeah, it sucks to hear that you should just put a 350 in it, but really, if you want to go fast for cheap: You should just put a 350 in, or better yet, a 5.3L LQ.
Old 12-07-2012, 09:23 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

Guys.We all agree there isn't a production engine that can't be improved on.Will that in this case get him to his goals??. Maybe not.But to try,is the start of a 19 yr old's O/Ps involvement in cars.If we pay back to all those guys who helped us at his age,that is a good thing. Right??. Two things I tire of on these forums.The competition between members where one of them can't admit they either don't know or are wrong.Having to be always right.And negative posts I admit I have made too telling people what they can't do vs guiding them how to do what they want to do.

We don't have the wealth of young people in cars as we once did.(short of muffler hangers/stereo installers) We need to be mindful of that fact.
Old 12-07-2012, 11:04 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChadGresham View Post
I'm looking at a 98 s10 ss, because I like 4.3 liters, and I'm wondering what the top speed possible is for these? Vin code w. I plan on open exhaust, cold air intake, throttle plate mod, and a programmer (hypertech). I know that particular programmer has a setting for 128 mph but will the motor actually do that with the mods listed?
A stock 4.3L V6 in a S-10 is going to be very hard pressed to run 128 mph.

My stock '96 Sierra 4.3L V6 p-u w/cold air and a 3" exhaust ran 110 w/o computer limiter. To add 18 mph on top of that takes a lot more HP than it might first appear because wind resistance more than anything.

A page on the V6 is here. Prolly nothing there you don't already know.
Old 12-08-2012, 03:49 AM
Supporter of the 4.3 liter V6

Last photo:

Thank you 1gary, at least you appreciate my enthusiasm for cars and going fast. Modifying trucks is really my only hobby besides fishing. Don't care for sports or music, just cars and speed. Came here to be taught not bashed, but since you responded I know there is at least one sensible person on this forum. Keep up the positive attitude!
Old 12-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Old & Furious

Iwill agree swaps are usally good way to add power to an s10. But no one ever mentions how much work is involed. Yeah motor fits step one is good. But suspension needs stiffer springs and special mount kit. Now you just spent 400 bucks and did get close to installing a 350 into the truck. Also forgot to mention the 350 and v6 need a different wwire harness. Rewiring an entire car is a crazy amount of work not only the motor but the dash needs to come out. Comuter and wireing harnes need to be sourced and installed.

Only cheap way to swap a 350 into a s10 is with carb and ditch the efi totally. Forget about cheap efi kits for a first time build They blow ajd require a lot of work and dont run all tha well. If you cant afford the edelbrock or aem bad arse efi full kits then stay stock or carb. This goes for pretty much any build. I am sure i will take **** for saying it but i know it to be true because i have actaully used them and most are hacker crap or cheap china junk.

This is why i suggest simple cam and exhuast mods with a tune you will be happy. And will be able to drive your car in between upgrades. Also most of the mods i mentioned are one day installs. Best to work on saturday then you got all day sunday to make sure it will take you to work on monday.

I got to say i have never seen so many 4.3 haters. My friend had a giant truck with dually tubs and big *** 20 inch wide tires slammed and bagged. With a paxton supercharger. I made fun of him once cause he had a v6. Well when he left he laid down a cloud of smoke that covered the entire block. Maybe a little power braking was involed but still laid down a respectable set of number 11s in front of the house. It wasnt fast but had all the cool factor and made a nice usable 300hp.

One last thing for everyone should read. 99% of 4.3 s10 are 4x4 but your truck is a two wheel drive sport model correct? I think you need to explain what you have to help ppl under stand. A few reply you got make me think ppl do not understand what you have and think you got a stock 4x4 with big tires.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:55 AM

maybe the O P should read the threads about that little turbo camaro with a V-6?
One of my parts suppliers built a N.A. 4.3,their biggest problem was getting any flow from the heads,everything else is like building a 350 minus 2 holes in the block. They made a little over 300 horses.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:42 PM
Supporter of the 4.3 liter V6

Last photo:

Yeah hcomton It's an s10 SS, two wheel drive with a posi rear end. No 4x4, no big tires. 235 55 r16s
Old 12-08-2012, 12:54 PM
WFO

Last photo:

I do not think it has a thing to do w/"hating" anything. Most guys are budget limited, so the cheapest way to make good power is, yep, the SBC 350. That's not to say the 4.3L V6 cannot be made to run good. It IS to say the cost/HP is not favorable when compared to a SBC.

One problem is the availability of high performance parts. The heads used in NASCAR GN racing are too large for most street engines when you can find them. And the evenfire stock cast crankshaft is inherently weak. Finding and paying for an odd fire crank ain't easy, either.

Now, you can use a turbo and make decent power, cast crank and all. But those are not cheap builds. And if the 4.3L V6 was all that and a bag of chips, don't you think there would be more of them being built? And don't you think the aftermarket would be all over them like white on rice? But their not. Doesn't that tell you anything?

OT- I don't understand guys who ask a question then piss and moan because everyone isn't all on board w/their ideas. You ask a question and you get answers- don't like them? Fine, but don't kill the messenger. Instead sort through the info and make your decisions based on whatever info you choose to believe.
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
bondo (12-09-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 02:03 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327 View Post
I do not think it has a thing to do w/"hating"

OT- I don't understand guys who ask a question then piss and moan because everyone isn't all on board w/their ideas. You ask a question and you get answers- don't like them? Fine, but don't kill the messenger. Instead sort through the info and make your decisions based on whatever info you choose to believe.
Cobalt that's a great incite to some of these guys! and you hit the nail on the head(the computers the NAIL )

I was going to come on and try to help but read some of this and decided the hell with it! Every one has different suggestions but to ridicule each other because one doesn't match another is ridiculous, and for a 19 year old boy to do the ridiculing when a very knowledgeable man gives a recommendation is assinine

Jester
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to painted jester For This Useful Post:
bondo (12-09-2012), cobalt327 (12-09-2012), vinniekq2 (12-08-2012)
Old 12-08-2012, 02:21 PM
WFO

Last photo:

It sure would seem to me that a response given- even if it doesn't agree w/some preconceived notion- should be appreciated for what it is: an honest opinion given by someone who took the time to answer a post in the first place.

I think 128 mph is not gonna happen, stock w/a chip and cold air- even if it was on the ground, lowering-wise. Others think it will. But I doubt anyone here would argue building a V6 is cost effective.

Now, if this is a matter of "I'm doing it 'just because'...", then so be it. Go in good health.

It sounds to me like the OP doesn't even own the truck, so it's really a moot point for the most part. But there are S-10 forums that I'm sure would be better able to answer the question about top speed. I just wonder where a top speed run could be made, legally and safely- it will take at least a minute, or more, of pedal to the metal to reach top speed. That eats up a lot of asphalt in a hurry!
Old 12-08-2012, 02:36 PM
Old & Furious

Well for cost the swap to a 350 will cost atleast 1500 for mounts, springs and exhuast. Not even talking about computer. The v6 shpuld be able to make the OP goal with 1500 invested. Also the 350 will make what 180 hp stock and need another 1500 worth of the same parts the v6 will need. And still only make what 300-350. A number the stock v6 is capable of doing with odb2 computer cats and all emissions regs inplace and passing the yearly test.

Where do you guys live where you can rip the engine out of a 1998 truck and replace it with A carb setup or mega squirt and pass odb2 emissions. A 350 swap is just a bad idea.

@colbalt Aftermarket is all over the vortech v6. Have you even looked before you said that. Nascar heads as you call them are gm performance heads still available i would bet. But usally come bare and unported so not good choice for a beginner.

Anyone who has ever ridden in a good running grand national will not discount the gm v6. They ran 13 seconds in 1987 fastest cars gm made for years. Until the zr1 corvette passed the gnx by a few tenths. And that didnt have as good a starting pont as the vortec.
Old 12-08-2012, 02:39 PM

Last journal entry: 383 dyno sym
Last photo:

The marine version is diffidently a source for high performance parts where the 4.3's are widely used.The later yrs a marine intake is a upgrade as a example.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.