4.3 Vortec Heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2008, 07:42 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4.3 Vortec Heads

I have a 92 4.3 I have to replace the heads on it. I already have a pair of 97 Vortec Heads #772 I can use. I know about the intake and all that but what I need to know is how will it run with the TBI and the OEM computer chip, non EGR marine intake ? or there anything I can do useing junk yard parts to help it

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-22-2008, 08:43 AM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

It will run, but, there will be some issues. The late vortec heads flow far better than the choked up swirl port heads that came stock on early 4.3's so the TBI will not be able to meet the demand in stock form. Next problem is there is no exhaust heat riser passage in the vortec heads so you have to plumb in the EGR from the exhaust manifold. You can get a chip that bypasses the EGR so the light doesnt come on and can do some recalibration as well on timing and other areas, but unless you get someone to do it that has a laptop and a dyno, then it's really shooting blind folded. I have a set of vortec heads off a 98 chevy I would like to install on my 92 4.3, If I were to do so I would just convert it over to a carb, as it would be easier than trying to find someone and pay them to correctly tune it.
Old 02-22-2008, 10:24 AM

Last photo:

So without the EGR it would run find just the light coming on and it would run lean but with all that would it be ok for day to day driving ? What would happen if you install a stock chip from a 5.0 or 5.7

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.