4 to 3 wire taillights - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2013, 12:20 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by John long View Post
It appears to me this will work but I am not sure why you are doing it. Is this a way of wiring turn signals because you are not running a conventional turn signal switch?

John
This is a fairly common problem encountered with 3rd party wiring harness installs and custom taillights as revealed by Google searches.

If you have one dual filament bulb on each side serving as parking light and then the brighter filament serving as brake/turn signal, you have 1 wire too many to hook up to your bulb on each side. The most common circumvention is the one I took to start with: using a trailer harness adapter designed to work with towing vehicles that have a separate circuit for brake lights and turn signals (mostly imports - eg this type of adapter: Hopkins/Import tail light converter (48845) | Tail Light Converter | AutoZone.com ). This allows the same bulb (usually an 1157 or similar) to serve the dual purpose.

My particular situation was complicated because I had installed bedroll lights into my 53 Chevy's truckbed. Due to a local law the turn signal must be within X distance of the brake lights meaning I couldn't just designate one pair of lights as brake and one pair as turn signals. Sure I could have ripped out the bedroll lights but really liked the extra illumination from the rear.

As I have stated a few times, the adapter method worked, but they aren't exactly long lasting hence my desire to take a better route of using relays to accomplish what I needed.

Of course if you know of a simpler method, I am all ears but I sure haven't seen a solution anywhere.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-25-2013, 12:48 PM

Last photo:

The simplest most reliable solution is to have a turn signal switch that combines the turn/brake signals, but I'm assuming that you are still running your original steering column and turn switch so that's not an option.

Joe G.
Old 09-25-2013, 05:18 PM

Last photo:

Joe G's diagram is what you need.
You can use some Omron relays out of modern cars, Jeeps and Mopar use these, I pay .50 cents per, at my local junk yard, They are super small and are wired exactly the same as the larger bosch type. (the six measure 3/4 inch by 1.5 inches)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	omron relay1.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	83866   Click image for larger version

Name:	omron relay.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	83874  
Old 09-25-2013, 05:24 PM

Last photo:

If you want to completely wire it using a toggle type switch, you old column mounted TS switch might be converted to a simple on/off function and would work well with this diagram. My version has been installed in two vehicles, that I know of.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Turn Brake Hazards.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	83890  
Old 09-27-2013, 10:23 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin58 View Post
I had been running my 4 taillights with a simple trailer harness 4 to 3 adapter but it seems somewhat erratic (maybe exceeds amperage allowed?) so am going to replace with relays.

Is the attached a workable way of accomplishing this? For the sake of drawing ease I omitted the parking light circuit as that isn't an issue.

TIA.
Intermittent sounds like a wiring quality issue not excessive amps. Somewhere there is a wire or a connector that is not making a consistantly constant connection. First suspect I'd be looking at is the ground. If the trailer lights use the trailer chassis as a common ground then there needs to be a wire connection between the trailer and the tow vehicle. The hitch cannot be depended upon to provide this connection. If the lights all ground to a return wire rather than the trailer chassis then the problem is somewhere in that circuit.

Exceeding the amperage of an electrical system in the case of lights will result in the lights being dimmer than their Lumen's rating, the wiring may be warm to the touch, or circuit fuses will burn out on a regular basis, for turn signals the relay will speed up.

Bogie

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.