Hot Rod Forum banner

4.3vortec conversion

6K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  LATECH 
#1 ·
I have a 97 4.3 vortec and the transmission in a 1940 chevy with the vortec wiring with computer. Where can i get a custom wiring kit just to make it run and move without all the complicated wires with sensors.

#2 ·
You will need to convert to a carburetor fed by a 7psi fuel pump and a conventional distributor.
There are many vendors that sell parts to convert the 4.3 to a non computer controlled engine.
Check out www.whiteperformance.com they sell a nice HEI centrifugal advance distributor for a reasonable price.
My bet is they can provide a complete package of intake manifold, carb, fuel pump, dist., wires etc. for your project.
You don't need no stinking computer!

vicrod

#3 ·
If your setup has the automatic transmission you will need some electronics to run it. 4L60E needs something (pcm) to tell it to shift.
I do a lot of computer diagnostics, on late model especially, and in my opinion (Just my opinion) it would serve you better and less expensive to setup your ride with the oem computer and run the EFI.I think you would get the best performance and mileage with that.Keep in mind this is my opinion and it is what I would do if it were mine.
If you have the standard trans you could easily convert to a carb ,just takes cash for parts. :D

#4 ·
pragan said:
I have a 97 4.3 vortec and the transmission in a 1940 chevy with the vortec wiring with computer. Where can i get a custom wiring kit just to make it run and move without all the complicated wires with sensors.
The "complicated wires with sensors" is how the EFI works in the first place. If you don't want to take the time to transfer all that equipment to your car, convert to a carb and a non-computer transmission.

#5 ·
Oops, forgot about the trans.
Conversion to a 700R4 would be required.
I read somewhere that a standalone PCM is available for the 4L60E.
The 4L60E can be rebuilt as a 700R4. Linkage is required to control the throttle valve. Also, torque converter lockup control is needed.

vicrod

#6 ·
If he has a standard trans he would be able to convert pretty easily. There was a post the other day, I think it was by fastorange,it was about using the stock ecm to control the 4l60e, kind like a standalone. It sounded like he had it figured out quite well.You could still run a carb and such and keep the engine bay nice and neat and still run the automatic.
Too bad they dont make a 4L60E with a BOP pattern.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.