4.6 or 5.4 DOHC Modular Ford? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2005, 02:18 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

4.6 or 5.4 DOHC Modular Ford?

I am interested to know the pro's & con's of these two motors. The motor is going into a '46 Ford pickup & will be used as a daily driver along with plenty of fun and want to keep it reliable. Any feed back would be greatly appreciated

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-02-2005, 04:09 PM

The 5.4 is about an inch and a half taller in the piston stroke and since it is put in trucks the intakes are a lot taller than what goes in the autos. The 5.4 has better torque.

The modular engine is a lot bigger than the small block ford pushrod motors like 302, 351. The angle of the V and the size of the over head cam heads makes it really fill out an engine bay.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:15 PM
turbo lag......yeeeeehaaaaaaw

Last photo:

5.4 mod motor

Just wait till they come out with the 5.4 cobra motor. supercharged 500hp. thats pretty good.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:28 PM
When all else fails burn it

Last journal entry: more hiding stuff
Last photo:

Well to start with do you mean a dohc or sohc 4.6 Because the dohc is way better. The 5.4 isn't that great of a motor. I have seen a lot of thrown rods with the stock cranks. but then again they were in the lightening's. But still if you plan on running boost you'll need a better crank for the 5.4. the 4.6 dohc is an awesome motor. I have seen them run up to 700hp on stock internals with a Kenne Bell twin screw. We're talking almost 30lbs here. I mean eventually yes they blew the motor but it lasted almost 6 months with the owner rodding the hell out of it. But I guess you were talking about daily driven. So the 4.6 sohc are relatively easy to find. but it will be alot of work shoehorning that big motor in there. the biggest problem is they are very wide. But you can find conversions to put carbs and distributes on them. also they have some really cool aftermarket valve covers that make them look like early hemis. i hope that helps a little.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:36 PM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

The 4.6 may leave you wanting more, the torque production is down considerably compared to the 5.4, I would suggest a 4.6 Cobra motor, much more there for your dollar..

2wld4u
Old 12-03-2005, 05:37 AM

I knew 2wld4u was a pushrod man even before I saw his photo gallery Killer engine. When he is talking torque he is absolutely correct. The small block are real stump pullers while the modulars like to rev and tend to breath and flow a lot better on the top end. If his chief criteria is torque then he is incorrect in recommending the 4V. The 2V definitely give the best down low power but they are still anemic compared to the push rods. What you do to compensate for that is to run gear ratios like 4.10s or if it is an auto higher stall torque converters that will put you in the modulars power range faster.

The pros of modular engines are

1. They are plentiful and available and used engines can be gotten cheap. If you are in New Zealand maybe you can get some components from Australia that are not available in the states, chiefly better intakes.

2. They are reliable, smooth, and troublefree. About the only serious problem ever mentioned about the mods is before 2001 the intake manifold had a tendency to crack. Now they come with aluminum crossovers in the area that failed.

3. The blocks are bulletproof and can handle power, both the aluminum blocks and the iron blocks. The small blocks are not nearly as strong. If you want to build big power on a small block you might have to buy an aftermarket block like the dart and they do not respond to boost as well.

The strongest production modular engines come with the 03 or 04 cobras equiped with the eaton blowers. The short block has manley rods and components to handle the boast. All cobras come with forged cranks. All modulars come with weak rods and piston heads. The general conventional wisdom is they are good to about 400 rwhp max.

4. Modular engines love boost of any kind and there are a lot of options available. The 4Vs in particular breath very well and can rev very high.

5. Out of the box they are fuel injected and computer controlled. 96+ have OBD. There is some really good tuning software (SCT) available and people who know how to make these engines purr. The 3V have variable cam features.

6. The mod motors are the now motor and will continue to evolve. The small block is dead at ford although I will admit there is still an unbelievable active aftermarket for an engine that has not been in production for almost 7 years. Correct me but I think vans were the last vehicles to use them and they stopped about 98.

The cons are

Performance parts are more expensive and less available. The range of choices for the small blocks just make us mod guys green with envy, especially in heads and intake choices.

Either way both motors have their perks and weaknesses. Racers have pushed both engines into 6s. For your application I would get a 302 small block bored to a 347. You would have gobs of torque and performance options. It would fit your engine bay better. It is a lot less fussy to get tuned, especially if it is carbed. It would be feel more raw and unrefined and old school compared to the balanced and smooth modular. Fits old school better.

I am surprised someone hasn't jumped in and said just drop a Chevy L2 in there. When I go to car shows most the hot rods seem to have Corvette drive trains in them.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:03 AM

Last photo:

Just a couple other options & bits of info.

If you do want to go mod motor, I've seen
a number of places that have the 300hp (at the
rear wheels) 5.4liter 3 valve motors out of
the Lincoln Navigators for sale pretty reasonable.

If you want Windsor, and are looking at 347's,
check out Coast Hi Perf. They make one with
slightly offset piston pins and slightly shorter
rods that keeps the pins out of the oil ring
to avoid oil burning problems but still don't
have too bad a rod angle due to the piston
pin offset. Available as reciprocating assy,
or short or long block.

Another good variant is the 331 which doesn't
have those problems due to it's slightly
shorter stroke.

One last option, if you want to be a little
different and have a real smooth torque
monster, is a mildly warmed up 400 small
block. Even just doing a cleanup on the
stock heads which are essentially 2bbl
Cleveland heads, or much better use
a set of the Aussie 2bbl Cleveland heas
which have closed comb chambers for
much better detonation control, or even
the new Edelbrock alum "3bbl" Cleveland
heads which are made to also fit on
Windsors, and a good 4bbl intake.
There are the regular Performer types
made for 400's, or Weiand and
www.pricemotorsport.com makes adapter
plates to put 351C or 351W intakes on
that block with a variety of heads.

A real easy 400 to 450 lbs of torque is
economically obtainable. Only thing
it's somewhat taller/wider than a 351W
and chassis-specific headers are likely
not available. You could probly use
shorty "hot rod" Cleveland headers.

For trans - might I suggest an AOD
or 4R70W - then you can put together
a tough automatic that has OD if you
need it. There are adapters available
to fit either onto the 400, and there
are models that bolt right onto either
mod motors or Windsors/Clevelands.

Here's some info on those just FYI
www.lincolnsonline.com/article111.html
www.lincolnsonline.com/article80.html

Sounds like a neat project, good luck!
Old 12-03-2005, 09:56 AM
WV hillbilly

Last journal entry: PTL 220CC
Last photo:

I was thinking if I was going to drop a 4.6 into my hotrod Id want it to be the 4V, as I really dont like the 4.6 2V or the 5.4 for torque, the 5.4 will get it done. The cobra 4.6 with a decent gear would be an absolute blast to drive... and if he ever (or she) decides to get wild with it, a blower will put down serious HP and TQ..

The only real experiance I have had with the 5.4 is a rental truck, I ran the $&*& out of it, I was surprised at how well the 5.4 did run.. I also watched the gas guage.. Id rather give up just a lil tq...

EDIT: If it was my truck, I have the biggest inch small block I could have.. right now that's 460CID from a 351W style block.. there is your TQ monster..

Yes Im a push rod guy, but I like to wind em, and thats is leading me towards MOD motors.. so in the comming years I belive I wil try to understand the MOD motors better, may even build one...

2wld4u

Last edited by 2wld4u; 12-03-2005 at 10:04 AM.
Old 12-03-2005, 10:15 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

A lot of talk, but no one mentioned the CRAPPY rods in them, both the 5.4 and 4.6. That's why so many of the 5.4 Lightning engines have tossed rods as was posted. If you EVER plan on squeezing more power out of them, the rods have to go. While the intake sytem may like blower pressure, the rods do not. They are powdered iron and are the very first thing that gets replaced in any build up. If you plan on leaving it stock, it probably won't matter, but if you plan on a performance build, you might want to price a set of forged steel rods first. That may make you decide to go with a regular Windsor smallblock, regardless of some of the comments, it is a far superior engine with a proven race heritage.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:20 PM

Either the 4.6 dohc or 5.4 dohc will power your truck just fine. From what I read in another post of your's about the mods to your truck, you shouldn't have any trouble installing one.

I don't know much about 4.6/5.4s you have down there, but in the US most 4.6 dohc engines came with aluminum blocks. This can save you about 75 pounds up front. The 5.4 dohc only came with an aluminum block in the GT or directly from Ford.

Any stock 4.6 dohc and 3.73 to 4.30 gears would make your truck fun and reliable. Keep us posted on your progress.

Greg
Old 12-07-2005, 10:18 PM

I think I will go for the 4.6 DOHC. The guy's I've been talking to down here reackon it will have plenty of grunt for a daily driver and it should be reasonable on gas. Just got to wait til March 2006 coz the guy I'm getting it through wont be bringing any more stuff out before Xmas. Shame coz I was hoping for a big Xmas prezy. Thanks for all your feedback, it's good to get some different veiws.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:32 PM

Last journal entry: More on the Cobra Engine
Last photo:

Tune into the Modular website of www.proweldperformanceparts.com

Great info

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.