Hot Rod Forum banner

4.6 in 55 fairlane

7K views 20 replies 7 participants last post by  Mustangsaly 
#1 ·
Hello,
I was wondering if anyone has done this or seen it done?
If so can you point me in the direction I need?
I have a 4.6 and aode I want to swap into my fairlane.
My plan is to install the fatman front clip and not sure what to do for the rear.
Any help would be great !
Thanks, Eddie

#5 ·
KULTULZ said:
You wouldn't really need to change the front suspension to MUST II on it. In fact, the '55 would be stronger.

There are 4.6L carb intakes and distributors out now. Which way do you plan to go?
Do you know who sells these?
I have seen them for a 99-up dohc.
Also you would not do the fatman front end?
I wanted to convert to discs and thought that would be the best way and give some room for the new motor.
Thanks for the help.
Eddie

#6 ·
tm454 said:
A 4.6 what, with what trans? What's a 4.6 anyway?? A 5.0 is a 305 but what is a 4.6??

Tazz

Rat Rods Rule!
4.6 is the mod. motor that ford has used for the last 10 years.
The one I have is a 4.6 DOHC from a 98 lincoln mark 8.
It is the aluminum version. And the trans will be a aod or aode if i keep it EFI.

#8 ·
h8louzn said:
Do you know who sells these?

I have seen them for a 99-up dohc.
Not at the moment. I haven't the money to get involved with the modulars ;) so I haven't really been keeping up with the technology. But I can do a little searching if you want to convert. Personally, if you have the PCM, harness and trans, I would stay with the FI.

Also you would not do the fatman front end?

I wanted to convert to discs and thought that would be the best way and give some room for the new motor.
I wouldn't as there would be no real benefit other than the rack, and there are kits for the basic FORD suspension for that. If you want disc, do the GRANADA swap (FATMAN will machine your GRANADA spindles for eighty bucks for a straight bolt-in). The MUST II swap will either give you a choice of 9" rotors (MUST II) or a GRANADA rotor upgrade (11") but then you either have to fabricate custom bracket(s) for a FORD caliper or use a jiffy kit for {{{shudder}}} a GM caliper.

I will do some searching today for a swap kit. I believe I have seen one offered.

#9 ·
h8louzn said:
Mustangsaly said:
i know someone that has a 4.6 in a 63 Galaxy 500 2dr, hes built many chevy & ford panels & p/us but this the 1st 4.6 (i think) want his # ?

That would be great if he don't mind!
Thanks!!
Eddie
ask for Steve

Lofquist Welding Inc
Elwood, NE 68937
308-785-2755

Steve Home 785-2938

i think he went with a mustang II frond end and air bag set up. nice guy. cars not finished yet.

Mustangsaly

#11 ·
Lots of people go with the MII setup because they think it's best -- has to be "everybody" uses them! Well, if you HAVE to change the front suspension they are quick and easy -- the SBC of front ends! But they aren't necessarily "better" than the stock independent front suspension (IFS). In many cases they are actually worse! You can't get the range of motion out of the strut rod suspension that you can a real double A-arm setup. Eliminating the strut rod helps tremendously, but make sure you get a crossmember that can take the addes stress! The main reason for the MII swap is just what you were thinking -- easier availability of parts. But if there's an affordable way to upgrade the brakes I'd keep the original suspension. Unless you're going to be road racing it will be as good or better than anything you can weld in with much less time and work invested. This is true on just about any car with ball joints, and AMC/Rambler cars from 1950 with trunnions. If you have king pins or a straight axle and want to improve ride you need to switch to the MII or a derivative.

The mod Ford is wider near the top, but about the same near the bottom as the SBF. You should be able to modify the 55 mounting points to accept the Lincoln mounting pads. I'd keep all the electronics and EFI too. If you have the old Mk 8 available to pull everything from it should be easy. The computer wiring is pretty integrated. Once everything is pulled and dropped into the older car you should be able to connect power and ignition then run. I don't know about the gauges in that year Lincoln -- some years feed off the computer instead of separate sending units for some (or all) gauges. You will have to modify the trans mount, but if you have the Lincoln crossmember that should be easy enough. You can probably modify the Lincoln CM to fit the 55.

#12 ·
Any 302 or 351 will almost bolt right in. uses the old radiator. modern engines upto about 400ci are actualy lighter and smaller than the origional 312 those cars came with.

Use a 86 mustang motor mount or a ranchero. plus a small spacer block.

I've seen upto a cadilac BB but then there was a LOT of cutting involved.

Lincoln Mk8 rear disk brakes work they are easily hooked upto the old parking brake cable. You'll have to make up adaptor plates.

To make the Granada front spindles work all you need do is retaper the lower ball joint hole to fit the old ball joint. The same taper for the tie rod ends. After that they just bolt right on.

Disk brake mastercylinders work from mustangs with little modifying, the same with some lincolins.

#13 ·
Thanks for all the help guy's and girl's!
Can't wait to get started on it.
I have the whole lincoln except the body.
Even the rear seat looks like it will work.
It's 1" wider than the stock one.
I guess I will stay with the stock front end for now and spend the 2000.00 on paint.
It will get it on the road a little faster.

#14 ·
I guess I will stay with the stock front end for now and spend the 2000.00 on paint.
I hate to throw you off your origional plans (it is your vehicle), but I would try mocking up a set of mounts on the origional frame rails and see how she fits. Were you able to get any mount info from the guy that did the '63?

I have looked and found no conversion kit for the swap. Would a set of FORD installation drawings help you with the engine mount design?

The only thing I see right off-hand that will interfere with the installation will be the heater box/motor on the right apron. A guy did a '56 with a 460 and I will try to see how he got around that problem.

Were you able to keep the cooling module (rad/fans) from the MARK?

And please put this on a project page so others can see how you solve the problems with the swap.

#16 ·
I would move it if I knew how.
I'm new here so if you can move it go ahead.
Thanks for the help, yes I got all the cooling stuff as well.
I won't be able to start this until late sept. early oct.
I will keep everyone posted as I get things going.
I would love to start today but that just can't happen. :(
It looks alittle taller but shorter and not too heavy.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.