4.6l 2v SOHC Engine Question - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2012, 12:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

4.6l 2v SOHC Engine Question

Greetings, new member...was curious about a 4.6l modular engine I picked up from a cop who was parting out a 2007 P71 cruiser. I was there to buy the IFS for my F-100 project and wasn't really interested in the engine but he made me a very good deal on the whole drive train, wire harness, radiator and engine so I bought the whole lot from him. I wasn't originally planning on this engine in my truck but I also have an Eaton super charger from a Mustang that I've been thinking about fabricating or modifying an intake to go with this engine and installing everything I purchased into my project. I have never owned or worked on these engines let alone driven a vehicle with one in it but all that I've read seems to point to the fact that they're reliable and get good gas mileage. The super charger aside, from a logistical stand point this all seems to make perfect sense. I'm wondering what I might be overlooking and am concerned about the torque that these engines can put out in an older truck.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2012, 02:45 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

That can be a good driver and cruiser with that engine..Frankly I would use the bird in hand rather than go for anything else and yes I have seen several of those at the local meets installed into older cars and trucks..

Sam
Old 04-22-2012, 04:01 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

That will make a nice combination in your 66. Should be sweet.
You will have good streetable performance and economy if driven easy for economy.
I have a 98 F 150 4.6 sohc with the fOU1 engine calibration (adds 20 horsepower) in my Nascar F 150. I have gotten 17.3 on the interstate at 75-80 MPH with my tools and stuff in the back, loaded.That average was based on a 1000 mile trip so I know its correct.
Plus it runs pretty good light to light. Sounds just like a cop car when you mash down on it.
What rear gear do you have ?And, that rear a 9 inch?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:06 PM

8.8 rear end 3:23 and what about the supercharger?

The rear end he had is a 8.8" 3:23 locker. I know this would be good on fuel economy but I was thinking about changing it to a least 3:7 or maybe 4:11 but again, I've never worked on these. I guess the ring gear and pinion are petty stout from what I hear but I can't overlook the fact that it has disk brakes already on the axle. It'd be a pretty cheap disk brake upgrade over the old 9" rear that's on my truck now. The cop (officer , great guy by the way ), said that these service vehicles get new oil & filter and maintenance every 2,000 miles religiously and it looks like it from the condition. I think I am going to go with this set up as commented," a bird in the hand". What about the super charger? I've looked at the Tork Tech sight and just can't see myself spending that kind of money right now but, after studying their intake, I can't see any reason I can;t modify or fabricate an intake that will come close to the Tork Tech's.......and by diverting my air conditioning into a heat exchanger bolted below the blower i think this would serve as a functional inter cooler. All I would need then is to get new injectors and a new tuning chip for the computer...I think???? Anyone seen this done as a cheap way around buying off the rack?

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.