Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Hotrodding Basics (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/hotrodding-basics/)
-   -   4.6L Ford (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/4-6l-ford-32506.html)

Native Gearhead 01-20-2004 12:24 PM

4.6L Ford

This is kind of a basic question...

What has Ford done to get these little engines to run so strong? I saw a Crown Vic Interceptor with a 4.6 wail! What is the story about this engine?

KULTULZ 01-20-2004 01:14 PM

You think that was something, try riding in a MARK VIII or COBRA 4.6L DOHC.

-Introduction FORD Modular 101-

:thumbup:

lluciano77 01-20-2004 08:07 PM

I just ran a 60 year old guy yesterday in a new 4.6 Mustang. I pulled up next to him at a light and looked over. He started shaking a little from exitement. I could tell he wanted to run 'em. My Camaro smoked him like a 24 hour beef brisket. He eventually caught up later and gave the thumbs up.

I hope he wasn't having second thoughts about his new purchase. He had no idea what was under the hood of my car. I like my hot rods to be primered and a little rough around the edges. It doesn't look fast to an untrained set of eyes.

KULTULZ 01-21-2004 04:01 AM

Of course your CAMARO is unmodified as was the MUSTANG?

'Ya Big Bully! :spank:

78novaman 01-21-2004 09:11 AM

I dunno...the 4.6L is a pretty good for efficiency. Good hp/L. You can tell it's struggling a bit though with my 4000lb vic. It gets moving pretty good(police intercepter), but it has to rev up, no bottom end torque. Quite the switch from my inline 6. That was a good read there KULTULZ, I didn't know all the new ford engines shared internals. Reminds me of the chevy small block :thumbup: Does that mean I could turn my 4.6L into stroker 5.4L?:D

KULTULZ 01-21-2004 11:32 AM

Quote:

Does that mean I could turn my 4.6L into stroker 5.4L?
You haven't heard about the LINCOLN NAVIGATOR 5.4L DOHC?

Oh you poor misguided GM fan... :(

crazy larry 01-21-2004 12:26 PM

KULTULZ....

i've been trying to tell them, but you know how it is......:rolleyes:

Robinson Robin 01-22-2004 03:13 PM

Actually I have never been to impressed by the for modular v-8's especially in the first few years after they where introduced the were particularly pathetic compared to the old 302. They are starting to get some reasonable power out of them now with factory blowers dohc and 3 valve versions but still nothing to write home about. They are quite rugged though which is nice.

Biggarmike 01-23-2004 02:50 PM

I've found one little bug in the 4.6L which merits remembering: there are freeze plugs under the timing chains, which are steel from the factory. A lack of cooling system service or using improper coolant can cause them to leak, giving you all of the indications of a cracked head or blown headgasket. before you start a major teardown or junk the motor, pull the timing cover and have a look. (pressure test won't help you) The timing cover is surprisingly easy to remove and can save you big bucks and major labor. :thumbup: