Hot Rod Forum banner

4.77 ring and pinion worth anything?

771 views 6 replies 2 participants last post by  ericnova72 
#1 ·
Go a 66 Chevelle rear end with a 43-9 4.77:1 ring and pinion. Should I sell the 12 bolt all together or try to part it out. Going with a ten bolt for my project.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Just my opinion, but it is likely worth more all together than it is parted out. Used gears are hard to sell, as there is no info on how to set them up to match the same pinion depth and backlash as they are in their current installation, unless you measure those dimensions at disassembly and record them.

Does it have a Positraction unit, a standard open rear differential, or a locked spool??

That's a rather odd gear ratio, no longer available for the 12-bolt Chevy....do you know the manufacturer name?? Modern available ratio's in that range are 4.56 and 4.88.

#3 ·
thanks for the reply, all I know is that is has a spool that is welded to the carrier -looks well done. I was told It came off a drag car. the original #s point to a factory posi but long gone. it was not what I wanted to see when I opened the cover but, oh well. I was surprised to see this set up and even more so with its gear ratio.

#5 ·
The welded gears "locker" hurts the value to most folks, even racers looking for a locked 12-bolt want a solid steel spool and not a "Lincoln Locker"(welded spider gears to case).

With the welded in "locker", you may get better value parting it out....just depends on the buyer, I guess. I know I'd have to get a real good deal to consider buying a welded locked rear, as the welded part is just junk in my mind, parts I would have to replace with safer modern components.

The fact that it is a "64-67 width rear does help the value a bit, as they are narrower than the late '67-72 version. A lot of guys with the '68-72 cars want the early rear for more tire clearance.

How are the axles held in?? Still have C-clips, or does it have clip eliminators on it??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.