4 banger brainstorming (help me out) - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-09-2010, 06:27 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe_padavano
The GM Ecotec can be adapted to both FWD and RWD applications and is well supported with parts. The stock turbo versions in the Solstice and Sky put out 260 HP, and parts are available for more.

The older Quad 4 motors can be had with up to 190 hp naturally aspirated and the GM supercharger kit can be adapted. There are aftermarket bellhousings to mount these motors in RWD applications.
The two litre in solstice gxps are epic!! They are set up running 16psi for 260 hp from factory. Mine has only a gm roadsters tune for 22psi and a solo performance exhaust. It runs 12.90 on pump premium and street tires, and gets 29mpg. I can only imagine it would break a lot of hearts in that car. Lol no one would even know what hit them

That would be one of the coolest swaps ever.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2010, 06:31 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramzoom
Heres the Quad 4 I built up for my Rambler....A used yard engine is probably cheap but rebuilt longblocks can be pricey. You need a 475.00 bellhousing to make it RWD..you will also need the thermostat housing to reposition the cooling. Dont bother with a single cam Q4..find a 2.3 twin.. If you can find a HO they are 190hp and the standard is 160hp..You can run pretty much any GM manual trans or automatic. You will need to do a hydraulic throw out bearing for the clutch. One engine I looked at before the Q4 was the Miata 4 cyl..they make turbo kits for them. A good miata engine and trans was like around 600-800 dollars at a jdm place. I m happy with the Q4..it runs strong and gets alot of looks..its old enough now that most people dont know what they are looking at which makes it interesting..

Seriously cool four banger...........love it! Well done
Old 11-09-2010, 08:09 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Pontiac Trophy 4. 194.5 cid, 155 or so HP w/a Rochester 4GC 4-bbl, the factory even made performance parts for them. Basically the right half of a Pontiac 389 V8.

Downside is they are rare, the hot parts rarer. It was heavy and vibrated. BUT- you wouldn't need to worry about EVER seeing another car like yours w/it under the hood!

Old 11-10-2010, 07:47 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Not a 4 cylinder, but a 13B rotary engine will fit.

JDM has a twin turbo 13Bw/trans for $2150, other engines can be had for a lot less- like ~$1200 for a 'base' turbo 13B.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:36 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

There are a LOT of ways you can go about this one. I would look and see what is available to you locally, then pick from that. 4v heads will be easier to make power while retaining mileage on. A turbo or supercharger will be necessary if you want any "real" power. EFI makes it all a lot easier, the more modern the better in most cases. A turbo quad 4 or ecotec would be awesome, but do you want to spend what it would cost to do that?

The Ford engine you mentioned will be one of the cheapest to get good power from, but don't expect to get great mileage. But if the total cost difference is high enough a 20% reduction in mileage may make more sense from a total cost stand point.

There's a lot of things to consider...

Usually the deciding factors are cost and how much you "just like that engine".

Any modern 4cylinder with EFI, a manual transmission, and with decent gearing should get you between 20-30 MPG, as long as you don't go crazy on the cam timing.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:02 AM

Last wiki edit: AMC V-8s Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 14

I just happen to have an XR4ti in the back of the shop that's trashed, but still has a good 2.3L turbo motor, so I'd go with that! If I had to buy something for the engine, I'd look hard at a Ranger with 2.5L and EFI, maybe the 2.3L. Already has a five speed behind it, could even use the rear axle... maybe. The Volvo may not be wide enough for the Ranger axle. The engine is rather narrow as long as you have the one with the intake curving over the valve cover. A little tall, but shouldn't be a problem in an older car like the Volvo or a 58-63 Rambler American.

The 83-93 S-10 2.5L isn't bad, but the Colorado four would be better (2004-2006 LK5 2.8L, 2007-2010 LLV 2.9L). There's also the FIVE cylinder engines in the same family and trucks -- 04-06 L52 3.5L and 07-10 LLR 3.7L. Also the I-6 LL8 used from 2002-2009 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GM_Atlas_engine). All are DOHC engines with variable valve timing on the exhaust side. The six was the first one, with the in-line configuration being used to minimize engineering for the VVT -- only one instead of two devices as a V engine would require.

Last edited by farna; 11-16-2010 at 09:12 AM.
Old 11-16-2010, 09:13 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by farna
I just happen to have an XR4ti in the back of the shop that's trashed, but still has a good 2.3L turbo motor, so I'd go with that! If I had to buy something for the engine, I'd look hard at a Ranger with 2.5L and EFI, maybe the 2.3L. Already has a five speed behind it, could even use the rear axle... maybe. The Volvo may not be wide enough for the Ranger axle. The engine is rather narrow as long as you have the one with the intake curving over the valve cover. A little tall, but shouldn't be a problem in an older car like the Volvo or a 58-63 Rambler American.
I'm actaully building one of these, and they are good engines and parts availability is decent, BUT THERE ARE A FAR CRT FROM ANY MODERN 4 CYLINDER. I'm doing one because its cheap and easy, but if I had a little more money or was considering a complete drivetrain swap anyway I wouldn't consider this engine. A turbo 2.3L barely made more power than a NA quad 4, put a turbo on the quad 4 (or Ecotec) and you really have something.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:58 AM

Last photo:

Went to the local Pull a Part (Tacoma) and saw a couple of Quad 4's also
spent a few moments staring at a Rover 215 (Buick-Olds) $95 for a long block.
I forgot about the newer Colorado engines.
The Volvo 5 cylinder looks interesting.
Old 02-17-2012, 04:53 PM

Last photo:

Still thinking

I'm a ways off on pulling the trigger on this swap mostly because I'm not done with projects before it. I have come to realize the best way to do this is with a donor car. I think the smartest thing to do would be a RWD donor car but I can't help being in love with a Quad 4.
Not sure a 2.8 V6(or variation of) wouldn't be a very reasonable choice.
Grab a Camaro/Firebird and go! Cheap donor cars. Quad 4 donors are around but I hear alot about head gasket issues? Also hear they are tough.
What to do? Time is on my side (for now)

I know I know its an old post.......(my old post )
Old 02-17-2012, 05:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Why not just get a newer B23F Volvo from a little newer car. Probably lots of them out there. I am sure if you look around you can find one , maybe with a turbo too.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:57 PM
elkyholic

Last journal entry: Center Link Installed
Last photo:

My favorite 4 banger is the Opel 1900, had one in my LUV truck and it was tough as nails. I put that truck through heck, only engine problem ever was a blown head gasket from racing the truck in autocross (placed 3rd in class).

But if I was going to do the swap today, I would look for one of the 2.0 - 2.5 rice motors. They offer great performance in a lightweight package, plenty of parts, and you can probably find a decent donor car if you are patient.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:07 PM

Last photo:

Cool thing about this is nothing is out of the question. Except high dollar exotic stuff.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:32 PM
Of course it's fast

Last photo:

1.8t. From and audi or vw. I love mine.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:26 AM

Volvo engine swap

If cost is an issue, there are some good choices, 2.3 Ford. They were used extensively in mustangs and Ford Ranger 2wdr trucks. Simple, reliable and easy to transplant. GM early 4.3 (non balance shaft) V6 engines are also a great choice, simple and good power. Can be used with a small transmission if trans clearance is a problem (like a T200 or powerglide), carb manifolds can be found from boat motors and great parts availibility. The carburated 4.3 was used by a lot of small pleasure boat builders, there are a lot of good parts for them. The best choice would have to be the Buick V6, odd fire or even fire. They came in Kaiser built Jeeps and tons of Buick passenger cars. Distributor is located on front of engine. Real simple and compact engine with good reliability. Although the early odd fire was a shaker at idle they made great low end torque and are very durable.

Last edited by Studebaker; 02-19-2012 at 12:43 AM.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.