4 Bar Calculator V3.0 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2005, 09:33 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4 Bar Calculator V3.0

I input my data and came up with 0% anit-squat on the Geometry summary
When I saw this on xtreme 4x4 tv, they said the closer to zero the better, Then I read somewhere here on a post that the number to shoot for is 100
can someone straighten me out on this. Thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 PM
expert lurker

Last journal entry: day one!
Last photo:

just out of curiosity, what is anti-squat? punched it up on google, but couldn't find anything good.

ok, so now we all know i'm clueless, i might think that, from very basic understanding, that it has to do with suspension movement, in 4x4's you want lots, the more the merrier sway-bars are evil. in hotrod's you want stiff suspension, for better handling, cornering and the like.
could that be it? or am i way way off?
Old 07-28-2005, 11:21 PM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

When a car launches, the front end always rises. Nothing you can do about that. But, the rear of the car can squat, rise, or do neither. If it neither squats nor rises, the suspension is said to have 100% anti-squat. It's somewhat of a misnomer, for you could just as well say it has 100% anti-rise, but that's what it's called.

Anyway, if you're trying to avoid variable loading of the rear tires (the rear of the car bouncing up and down) and, also, if you have some kind of trick asymmetric setup with which you're hoping to get equal rear tire loading (with a beam axle and RWD), it's important that the rear suspension link angles don't change. For this reason, 100% anti-squat is recommended. There are those, however, who feel their car launches better with a certain amount of squat or rise, so they purposely avoid 100% anti-squat.

The 100% anti-squat condition exists when the instant center of the rear suspension, when viewed from the side, is situated on a line which passes throught the rear tire patch and has a slope equal to the center of gravity height divided by the wheelbase. (On an IRS RWD car, this line is displaced upwards by a distance equal to the effective radius of the rear tire.) If the IC is above the line, the car rises; if below, it squats. (This is assuming the IC is forward of the rear tire patch. If behind, the situations are reversed.)
Old 08-10-2005, 07:52 PM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

That was my calculator that they used. I still haven't seen the show...I need cable

For a 4x4 the design will be quite different then for a car...but there is no reason you can't use the same design tool.

With a 4x4 you have to worry about driving up things that aren't flat. You also want the links to be up as high as possible so that they don't become "rock magnets". Many people on pirate4x4.com who made their suspensions without putting any thought into how much anti-squat (AS) they would have ended up with something like 200% AS and wondered why their suspension would droop out when they tried to climb over something and would hop like mad on hill climbs. If you look at the new comp buggies (aka moon buggies) they are running very close to 0% AS (links parallel with each other and the ground). Some guys are now making their links out of 2" OD x .500" wall thickness heat treated chro-moly so they don't bend them...DIFFERENT SPORT ENTIRELY!!!

Obviously you have to deal with none of this with a car (at least I hope so ).

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.