4 cly for a 65 chevy II - Page 3 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2012, 12:58 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

so the th350 its better ?to bolt it to the engine is the same bolt pattern?
trans crossmember the same location than the powerglide?
i have no idea what rear end i have it the stock chevy 65 ,,you also migth be rigth about the carburator a 2 barrel migth use less fuel than the 1 barrel i know a carburator guy im stopping by him this comming week to have a chat about it

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2012, 01:22 AM

I love this car ,,,i bougth from a guy it was in bad shape i replaced floors,send it to paint ,,,got the engine running change almost everthing under the hood and suspencion parts brakes ,,,interior ,,,list keeps goin on ,,,i use it every day never let me down ,,,i had a 2006 dodge magnum that thing was the worst piece of s#$%t was a dealer money maker ...one day my wife told me we need a second car ,,,here she is
my chevy does not ride like the new cars i gave you that but ,,it's realiable and you can fix it yourself with hand tools ,all it does is use fuel and oil change ,,,im just trying to make it better
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 053.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	824.6 KB
ID:	66093   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 031.jpg
Views:	40
Size:	834.8 KB
ID:	66094   Click image for larger version

Name:	pic 049.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	813.7 KB
ID:	66095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0058.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	66096   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_0925.JPG
Views:	37
Size:	441.1 KB
ID:	66097  

Old 06-16-2012, 06:53 AM
68 Pontrolet

Last photo:

Bolt pattern will be the same as long as you get from a chevy app. TH350, TH400, and 200R4's also came with BOP patterns.

As for the crossmember, Google transmission dimensions and compare to your glide. My tempest has multiple bolt holes in the frame to move the crossmember forward and aft. Worst case you'll have to drill your own holes.

The only thing I don't know is about your trans tunnel. I am not familiar enough with the glide to know if it is any taller than at TH350. Can someone chime in on that?
Old 06-16-2012, 07:20 AM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Google or do a forum search on how to figure out a rear gear ratio. I would bet you have a 3.08 rear gear as that was standard on that model with a powerglide. Since you don't seem to be concerned about performance at all, and you seem to think that 2 mpg more will keep you out of the poor house, swap a 2.56 gear in the rear end and be done with it. Cheapest, quickest, most cost effective way to achieve your goals.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:11 AM

[yes that's another good choice,,,im using that car 5 days a week putting about 25 t0 30 m a days it cost me to run the car just on gas around $200 a month ,,if i can do better that will help..thanks for the advice it's a good idea ,and im putting it to work im looking for that set up, ,,,
Old 06-18-2012, 06:44 AM

Last wiki edit: General Motors transmissions Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 27

geo ?

Buy an old GEO Metro, they regurlarry get 50 MPG for a commuter, usable top speed 60 -65 mph best milage at 55 mph.
Old 06-18-2012, 03:31 PM

[sometimes im thinking on that ,,my old car is not the best option when you use it as a daily driver,,,today i calculate the mpg im getting goin at 45mph to 55mph 20mpg again the car is all stock....
Old 06-18-2012, 08:57 PM
1.21 giga-watts???!!!!

Yeah, you keep telling us that. What you haven't told us is what you are going to do. What are you going to do? If you like the car its ridiculous in my mind to dump it for 2 mpg more. 20 mpg isn't bad at all, especially when you aren't driving freeways.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:13 PM
68 Pontrolet

Last photo:

Curious to know what decisions/results you've come up with. Please share when you get a chance. Thanks.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:53 PM

my 230 engine is not running to good ,,,smokes ,and runs really ruff , so im swappimg it for a 194 with 37000 miles in it ,also im goin to change the tires side ,,rigth now i have the 13 inches rims ,,but im thinking in 15x7 rims ,,i was doin a research to swap for a 4 spd ,,,200 4r but its more involve ,in it ,,short the drive shaft ,,change the shifting rods to make it work ,,,and of course a lot more money ,,,at the end i think i'll be getting more mpg...
Old 07-02-2012, 05:16 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfokker View Post
...no idea the about the axle gearing since i have no tags or nothing in it ...
HERE you go. You really need to find out where you are before deciding on how to proceed. I tend to agree w/keeping the 230 and using a 2004R tranny as being the best potential mileage increase for the dollar.

If you haven't gone in and put a good advance curve in the distributor, there could be several mpg to be had right there (article is based on the GM HEI but the timing info is universal). Make sure the vacuum advance is working!

You can pick up a little more mileage by using an electronic ignition like the HEI. I wouldn't go overboard here, a full-zoot aftermarket ignition can cost more than it'll return unless you drove a lot of miles; the difference between mileage and cost favors a stock-type GM HEI by quite a margin.

A used HEI distributor can be found for cheap and is uber easy to install, adding the performance/mileage advance curve spring kit, possibly an adjustable vacuum advance, cap, rotor, wires and plugs if needed can be done for <$100.

Plumb cold outside air to the air cleaner housing instead of the hot underhood air. Synthetic gear lube in the rear axle, keep the tires aired up to the max, alignment and tune spot on, adjust the brakes so there's no drag, etc. There are sites that get into the hypermiling thing that cover this and a lot more. No one thing will matter very much but together they add up.
Old 07-02-2012, 08:46 AM

well ,,,i have a pertronic electronic ignition with the new coil in my distribuitor ,not much difference in mpg ,,,i was goin to install the 194cc but the guy is not calling back so i migth have to put together a 230 i have in my garage and go wit that one,bottom line i have to replace the engine i have in the car rigth now ,,,is smoking bad so it's done..the 4 speed sound like a great thing to do but it would take me time to get all set up (need the car asp on the road)and because its not a new trans there's way to know if it will work,,,a new one rebuild runs around 800 and up....
by the way thanks for all the info you send me
Old 07-02-2012, 09:01 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by adfokker View Post
well ,,,i have a pertronic electronic ignition with the new coil in my distribuitor ,not much difference in mpg ,,,i was goin to install the 194cc but the guy is not calling back so i migth have to put together a 230 i have in my garage and go wit that one,bottom line i have to replace the engine i have in the car rigth now ,,,is smoking bad so it's done..the 4 speed sound like a great thing to do but it would take me time to get all set up (need the car asp on the road)and because its not a new trans there's way to know if it will work,,,a new one rebuild runs around 800 and up....
by the way thanks for all the info you send me
I'd go w/a 250 and drive it easier for mpg. It'll run stronger than the 230 and a hell of a lot better than a 194. In my opinion. 'Course if mileage is all you're after, the 194 could work.
Old 07-02-2012, 10:12 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:

While it may be cost prohibitive a 6.0L drivetrain from a modern chevy truck would pick up power and mileage.

My point is that engine size is usually not the determining factor.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.