Hot Rod Forum banner

from 4 door sedan to 2 door coupe.. torch time..!!!

6K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Augusto 
#1 ·
ok the search is over, no more looking around, definitely no 2 door antique cars are left around here anymore, I have this '46 4 door chevy fleetmaster sedan that I decided to convert to a 2 door coupe, done some homework and found that both have the same wheelbase and share most of the parts, the torch will be needed only on the rear quarters, doors, top, trunk, etc. I'm willing to take the challenge, I have no plans or measurments, so for sure will not have the exact measurments but nobody will know that anyway so I don't care, I'm just after the coupe look, and maybe will chop the top a couple of inches while the torch is lit. LOTS of work coming up for shure but that's part of the fun, this is what hotrodding is about anyway, isn't it?

A buddy is pretty interested in doing the same thing to his '64 chevy II, so if I succeed, I'll have plenty of work coming up.

If anyone has done this before will you share your experience? no matter what car you've done, most are about the same.

or if someone by chance happens to have plans or measurements of the 2 door body '46 chevy, you'll be my best friend forever.

cheers, from the middle of the world.

Augusto.

See less See more
#4 ·
artsvettes said:
I have never done a chop job but have done some extensive body work over the years. I would put down the torch idea. To much heat generated from that. A sawzall and angle grinder with cutting discs would be my tools of choice
well actually I said torch just because it sounds cool, I will use my plasma cutter and the tools you mention, the oxy torch is reserved only for 1/2 or thicker cuts. and btw the plasma cutter head is also called torch.

what do you think of the idea?

#5 ·
kc0kfg said:
There is a guy over on the Hamb that did this to a 40's ford you may want to take a look at the work involved,

Do you access to a 2 door, doors and roof section ? they would be of great help.
for what I have researched seems like the 2 door models were never imported to this shores, so no luck finding them.

#6 ·
I have been looking for a '49-'50 Merc body in this area, for a relative. Once he realized there just aren't any cheap unbuilt Merc 2-doors, we started exploring what could be done with a 4-door

Besides the obvious 2-door conversion, we discussed a 4-door convertible, with carson top and suicide rear doors like the mid sixties Lincolns... a "Ranchero" version... a panel... a roadster pickup... or a flatbed.

If it's custom, you don't have to limit yourself to the factory styles only.

#9 ·
you bet, I'll do a photo album of my progress, I won't start soon because I'm working in the engine of my elcamino rigth now, but I can't wait to start doing my '46, the frame is ready though, it's a camaro front clip welded to a malibu frame with the front end removed and the length adjusted to give the propper wheelbase, 454 engine, the rest of the drivetrain is not decided yet but will be automatic for sure, hopefully by mid april sparks will be flying.

#10 ·
If you are talking 2 door sedan, then yes. Lengthen the doors. buy EMS quarter repairs and move the B-pillar.

2 door coupe is a different animal. Trunk lid is different. Trunk hinges on the outside rather than inside. Slanted B-pillar. Different roof line.

My project journal has some good photos of what needs to be done to the floor and quarter area in front of the rear fender. If I were you, I would probably forgo roll up quarter glass. Glue the glass in. If I had it to do over again and knew how much time everything was going to take, I would have probably glued mine in and I had a set of window boxes to start with.

#11 ·
indeed my idea is going coupe, the trunk lid is longer but I plan on just using the same unit but placed a little more inclined, the roof line is quite different but since it will get a chop job there's lots of fabrication time ahead.

about glass, yes I tought of leaving it fixed, the a/c will cover that up nice, the front glass will roll down but I'll make it a one piece window, deleting the little swing out vents, I've done this before.

I'm watching at your pics, they are very cool.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.