4 link HELP!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2008, 10:37 PM
Nova Owner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4 link HELP!!!

Ok heres the story ... my 62 nova project i picked up is back half'd, fully tubbed with a 4 link and coilover setup already installed but i got the car minus the rearend ... so in my hunt i found a 9" out of a 66 bronco ... the next step is to get the 4 link brackets and install the rearend ... now is where i hit a snag ... i have little knowledge of 4 link setups or how to install them and i cant find a local shop that will even point me in the right direction. So im turning here in hope of finding the help i need to jump this hurdle ... thanks in advance for your help.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-05-2008, 12:30 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

Take a look here, I've got a Chris Alston Eliminator II in my Nova, it's a task, but doable, I did it myself in my garage. If you have any questions you can't figure out from there, PM me. Look at my project journal for some real time pictures.

http://www.cachassisworks.com/cac_how_to.html

Midnight Sun Street Rod Association
Old 03-09-2008, 01:43 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,152 Times in 951 Posts
Billy Shope explained it like this:
In the side view, visualize a horizontal line through the center of gravity (about the height of the camshaft) and a vertical line through the front tire patch. Then, a line...called the "no squat/no rise line"...passing through the intersection of these two lines and the rear tire patch.

Finally, visualize lines passing through the centerlines of your links. There will be an upper line (through the upper two links) and a lower line (through the lower two links). If you don't want the car to squat or rise, arrange the links so that the intersection of the upper line and the lower line falls on the no squat/no rise line. If you want it to rise, put the intersection above the line; squat, below the line.
Old 03-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElguapoShoebox
my 62 nova project i picked up is back half'd, fully tubbed with a 4 link and coilover setup already installed but i got the car minus the rearend ... so in my hunt i found a 9" out of a 66 bronco ...
My question is the Bronco rear end narrow enough ?? It is 58 inches wide, when measuring from wheel mounting flange to wheel mounting flange. Also, Bronco rears came with the 5 on 5.5 wheel pattern ( not the most popular pattern for a drag/street/strip car. Another thing to consider is the pinion offset is a good bit MORE on the Bronco than most other 9 inch Ford rears ( because it is offset for the 4 wheel drive ).

ALL early Broncos were equipped with 28 spline axles.
Most were the small axle bearing, most had 10 inch diameter brake drums ( Bronco ONLY ) making brake parts a little more difficult to find.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 03-09-2008, 10:25 PM
Nova Owner

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuce
My question is the Bronco rear end narrow enough ?? It is 58 inches wide, when measuring from wheel mounting flange to wheel mounting flange. Also, Bronco rears came with the 5 on 5.5 wheel pattern ( not the most popular pattern for a drag/street/strip car. Another thing to consider is the pinion offset is a good bit MORE on the Bronco than most other 9 inch Ford rears ( because it is offset for the 4 wheel drive ).

ALL early Broncos were equipped with 28 spline axles.
Most were the small axle bearing, most had 10 inch diameter brake drums ( Bronco ONLY ) making brake parts a little more difficult to find.
The reason im using a Bronco 9 inch is because its only 3/4 of an inch off from a stock nova rearend, its got 4.10 gears and
i bought it for $100 .... I plan on replacing the brakes and im ordering a new set of moser axels with 5x4 3/4 bolt pattern
Old 03-09-2008, 10:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Quote:
Ok heres the story ... my 62 nova project i picked up is back half'd, fully tubbed with a 4 link and coilover setup already installed
Quote:
The reason im using a Bronco 9 inch is because its only 3/4 of an inch off from a stock nova rearend, its got 4.10 gears and
i bought it for $100 .... I plan on replacing the brakes and im ordering a new set of moser axels with 5x4 3/4 bolt pattern
COOL ... most folks with a fully tubbed car that is back halved want a narrow rear end so they can run BIG, WIDE, TIRES ... with a narrow rear end.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.