Hot Rod Forum banner

4-Link Question

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  53LEDSLED 
#1 ·
I will be building up my '54 Chevy chassis with the original powerglide, enclosed driveline and rear axle, but I am considering replacing my worn leaf springs with a four link and air bags.

Is it possible to set up a four link on a rear axle with an enclosed driveline? I assume it should be no different than with a open driveline.

I don't know if this makes sense, but what I am trying to build is a show quality, well styled and detailed chassis using the original frame, original rear axle and driveline, Mustang II setup at the front with air bags and dropped spindles, four link at the rear also with air bags, but maintain a overall aesthetic that will look right at home under a old school traditional custom... modern ride and performance with old school style.

Any ideas? Suggestions?

Rich :D

#2 ·
I suppose, if you like the looks of a 4link, you could fabricate telescoping links in all 4 locations. You certainly wouldn't want them functional. They simply are not compatible with the torque tube suspension. What you'd have would be equivalent to a non-functional hood scoop. And, I see nothing wrong with this. Again, if you like the looks, go for it!

#4 ·
Thanks for the input, well, this being the case I think I'll forget about the 4-link unless I decide to go the whole hog with a narrowed Ford 9", narrowed frame rails at the back, tubs and obviously lose the enclosed driveline, and probably the powerglide too, although I have been told that the powerglide will put up with some real abuse if it's rebuilt with racing in mind.

I have thought about this before, and just doing away with the back seat as you say may give me other advantages anyway as I will be building this car with a retractable hardtop, and if I lose the rear seat, it will give me more room for the mechanism and folded roof sections.

It's a fundamental question of purpose I think, to cruise, or to race, or to be an art piece, but I would like a combination of all three. I need to work on defining what this car is, and when I have a good grasp of its intended function, I think form must follow that.

For a cruiser, the original rear axle and torque tube setup is fine, but for anything more, it's not going to cut it I think. Also, for a race car, the idea of a retractable hardtop with all it's complications and added weight of the mechanism doesn't make a lot of sense, not to mention complicating installing any kind of a roll cage. I mean, apart from maybe some smaller roadsters, how many full size convertibles do you ever see racing?

I'm just glad that it's early days as far as building is concerned, so I still have some flexibility in the end design of the car.

Hmm... lots to think about, thanks!

Rich :D

#8 ·
4-link Vs 4-bar

If youy want to put bars on that 54 you don't want a 4-link you want a 4-bar. If you use a 4-bar you won't have to get rid of the back seat. if you run a triangulated 4-bar you don't need a track bar or any other locator. If I can figure out how to post pictures i'll post some. Of a 63 Nova wagon with bags.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.