Hot Rod Forum banner

4 link rear

2K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  41 kustom 
#1 ·
Been pondering putting a triangulated 4 link with coilovers under my 48 chevy p/u. I mentioned this to a car builder buddy of mine and he said it would be a mistake because the ride would be terrible. I've always heard the ride would be improved using this setup. I'm sure there's someone out there that can tell me their first-hand experience with this. Thank you

#2 ·
I'm willing to bet YOU have first hand exp. of this.

g.m. cars cutlass/regal/caprice/impala/monty carlo/chevelle/gto/lemans/t37/tempest/etc all used it..
the ford grand mark and crown vic up untill they killed of the boxy one..(early 90's)
fox body mustangs/lsc/farmont/t-bird
all have the triangled 4 link

#5 ·
I put a 4 bar under my 41 Buick Kustom and I don't mind the ride a bit. It's a little choppy but that's because of my air springs. There's a sweet spot that takes that away too.
41--what do you mean by "a little choppy"? I'm thinking of putting a 8.8 diff from a 2004 Explorer under my 39 Chevy with Shock Waves and tri-4 bar. Would you prefer something different if you had a choice? Any other opinions re: this differential and spring setup?

#6 ·
4 link

Choppy may not be the word I'm looking for. I have air springs under mine, I don't know how shockwaves ride. I'm pleased with the ride but after riding in my 34 Ply (that rides like a caddy) it seems a little stiff. I've rode in a lot worse. When I get my air presser set just right it smooths right out. By all means go with air, I might put it under my Ply just get the right ride hight. I have air shocks now.

#7 ·
Choppy may not be the word I'm looking for. I have air springs under mine, I don't know how shockwaves ride. I'm pleased with the ride but after riding in my 34 Ply (that rides like a caddy) it seems a little stiff. I've rode in a lot worse. When I get my air presser set just right it smooths right out. By all means go with air, I might put it under my Ply just get the right ride hight. I have air shocks now.
Thanks for the reply 41---.Can you tell me what air controller system you are using? What suspension is in the 34 Ply?

#8 ·
4link

I got my controls from a shop in Ohio at a real good price. it's a Air Lift, very happy with it. PM me and I'll give you the name of the shop. Can't list it here. My Ply has stock rear springs under it with a Ford 9" and a original M11 in front. I ran air just in the rear of the Buick so I could drop at shows and have a real tail dragger. I drive it at ride highth most of the time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.