Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 4-link suspension design
View Single Post
Old 03-11-2004, 09:03 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Just tried to check the Morrison site and wasn't able to complete the connection. Don't know if they're having server problems or what.

Anyway, I'm aware that some of these suppliers seem reluctant to discuss this sort of thing. I suspect it's just a matter of maintaining a "neutral" position on some of these issues which, among some racers, are highly controversial. And, I certainly can't blame them for wanting to keep their bottom line healthy.

Why controversial? Well, there are some who actually want a lot of squat. So, if a supplier comes out and says, "Here's how you can avoid all that nasty squat," they might consider the guy incompetent and take their business elsewhere. On the other hand, there are those who want a lot of rise (though there aren't as many).

Why do some want squat? They see the rear end of the car coming down and they think what they're seeing is weight transfer. So, the more they see it coming down, the more weight transfer. But, that's simply not how it works. Weight transfer is a function of acceleration, car weight, wheelbase length, and center of gravity height. Nothing more! Actually, what's happening as the rear starts to come down is that a certain portion of the weight transfer is LOST as the force is applied to pull the car down. But, that which was lost is regained as the car "bottoms out" and starts to return to its upper position. In other words, rear wheel loading oscillates as the car bobs up and down. You get the same oscillation with a "rise" setup, but it starts with an increase in rear wheel loading.

So, as far as I'm concerned, it's best to avoid all that bouncing and keep the rear wheel loading as steady as possible by putting the IC on that line I described. From the pictures, I would say that you might have enough adjustment in the lower links to accomplish this.