4 link suspension help - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2007, 08:04 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

4 link suspension help

i have never built a 4 link before i understand how it works and how it needs to be built but i got my hands on some 1"x1" square tubing for free that is about 1"OD and 3/4" ID is that strong enough for a 4 link or shouls i get hevier stuff? someone please help me

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-11-2007, 09:45 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

It should be strong enough ... but the square tubing really eats up the space under the car. Then you have to fabricate the ends, weld them on ... come up with the proper bushings ...

Sometimes it is cheaper, safer and just better to buy a 4 link kit ...
Old 04-12-2007, 05:00 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

If you do feel like fabbing something, you might consider a 3link. This is very common on oval track cars, but somewhat rare on street rods. It offers a couple of advantages over a 4link, however. One is that there will be no binding during cornering. The other is that it can be configured so as to cancel any value of driveshaft torque, meaning that the rear tires will be equally loaded on launch. See Page 6 of my blog for setup:

http://home.earthlink.net/~whshope

The above assumes you were talking about a 4link for the rear suspension of a beam axle car.
Old 04-13-2007, 08:45 PM

im actually putting it on a 72 GMC 1/2 ton
Old 04-13-2007, 08:46 PM

should it still be ok????
Old 04-14-2007, 02:41 AM

Last wiki edit: Vacuum brake bleeder set up
Wiki Edits: 8

IM(not so)HO that is too small of material. I would much rather see you using thick wall 1.25 or 1.5 in. round seamless tubing.
Old 04-14-2007, 04:33 AM
Philippines Cowboy

Last journal entry: THE TRACTION DYNO
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triaged
IM(not so)HO that is too small of material. I would much rather see you using thick wall 1.25 or 1.5 in. round seamless tubing.
Definitely! And I wouldn't even stop at 1.5 inch. Picture 5 of your trucks in a stack. Now, picture that stack being supported by only your two lower links. Would you trust those two pieces of 1X1 tubing? That's the kind of load those links are seeing in a launch with wrinkle walls. If you're considering a 3link with one lower link, you're almost looking at sewer pipe! This is not a place to skimp. The weight difference is probably less than your own from week to week. Be safe!

For rod ends, go to a place that rebuilds leaf springs. I know rubber bushings are not as pretty as Heims, but they'll handle the loads dependably.
Old 04-14-2007, 08:46 AM

well the deal is i am actually planning on using rubber bushings, and im not usingthe truck for racing it is a daily driver, but i really appreciate the info ill def. look for some thicker scrap peices at work
Old 04-14-2007, 12:05 PM

i'm building a three link setup on my 85 toy and i'm using 2" square the same stuff that you would make a tow hitch out of. My budy did the same thing and used 1.5" square tude and he hasn't broke bent or done anything to it and it's just fine but like everybody else told you i would definetly go with something bigger. That 1" might be ok for the track(panhard) bar
Old 04-14-2007, 08:53 PM

awesome, thanx a lot guys i really appreciate the help!
Old 04-15-2007, 01:03 AM

no problem glad to help
Old 04-15-2007, 05:56 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

That is not nearly heavy enough. You need to go up in diameter and thickness if you are using mild steel tubing, especially if it is not seamless. Make sure you TIG the rod ends to make sure you get a durable weld.
Old 10-16-2007, 09:04 PM

for bluebu car does nt go strt.adam1236corvette

not offended.i think it is in the origanal scaling.per chassis bldrs sets-on scales-loaded/race rdy-top rt bar neatrl/all wght in/rear anti rol bar neatrl/pin angl 1.1dwn/ft shks-lt1.5 frm tite/rt 1.75 frm tite..rr shks-lt-top 7-midl/rt 7-midl/botm lt-3 frm loos/rt 3 frm loos..tire 17x33/5lbs.ftend 11.8/o/ toe 1/16 scale=ltft648/rtft 497/ltrr 630/rtrr 581--.addd preload to rt top bar to get 21lbs mor thn lt rr.now rear is lt596/rt615..60ft=1.15/1.14/1.16/1.15 only 4 p****.leavs 2 chlk equl marks.on all runs..never mde full pass.after it 60 fts it drivs to rt!on all 4 pss.found lt rr tire SMALLER thn rt rr?it shld go left!!.add preld 2mor flts stil went rt at speed.lifted went went strt.fixed tire circ.-both 102".my plan is to rescale /start same as original/but instead of adding the 21lbs preld--first jack lt frt spring to make rear tires the same than add 21lbs preload.also rr shks low adjst-lt had 11clks/rt had 10 clks..i will set them at lt shks 3clks/rt 2clks...on 4th pass it left straight but after 60ft ++it startd gong rt,i liftd then got on it more and more it went lt harder.et was 8.91/110mph,i lifted... i plan on going to maple grove on 8/27+etown on 8/28 asap.illcheck your rply on wed10/17..thanks adamt1236corvette..

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.