4 Link tuning - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-23-2003, 01:55 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last journal entry: The Blower and test fit.
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4 Link tuning

Ok guys, kind of stumped here. I just got my car back from getting the cage and tin work done on my 62 Nova. He took the 4 Link off and now with it all installed, the left is about 3/4" lower than the right. My question is, would setting any kind of pre load on one side cause this? I'm new to this type of suspension, and still don't really understand it too much. I also tried to mess with the rod ends, but once I made one longer, I didn't know how to get it bolt back in. Do I have to get something to pry the rear end back a little in order to do this, or do the shocks need to come off? If I do have to pry the rear back, what's a good way to go about doing that? I did check the frame, and it all seems to be level, but once on the suspension it gets uneven. I even put the car up on the frame and the rear was level when it hangs down. I jacked up the rear with the car on it's frame, and I noticed the same reaction (it went up on the left before the right. Any got any tips or clues? Sorry for the long post, just wanted to give as much info as possible. TIA!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-23-2003, 02:13 PM

Last photo:

Ive never used a 4 link, but, it sounds like more of a coilover problem if one side sits lower that the other. R U running coilovers or coil springs? From what I can tell adjustment of the 4 link would just change pinion angle not ride height.
Old 06-23-2003, 04:46 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

Thanks stea, but they are just coils. I thought that too about the 4 link adjusting, but wasn't sure. The funny thing to me is that when I lower the car slowly from the frame, both wheels touch the ground at the same time, so I watch the coils bind, and it seems as though the right coil is stiffer because it doesn't let the car come down as far as the left. Would adjusting the 4 link fix this? Thanks for the advise though.
Old 06-23-2003, 05:08 PM

It sounds like you have 2 diff. spring rates. Try and switch the coils and if it now hangs on the other side then thats what you have. I would call the company you got the springs from and talk to the rep and see if maybe they got the springs mixed up and sent you 2 diff ones. May have to send them back and have them send you 2 new ones...IMHO.....GlennK
Old 06-23-2003, 07:29 PM
adtkart@aol.com

Last photo:

You might also want to check to make sure that the springs are seated correctly. They may be out of position.
Old 06-23-2003, 08:53 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

46, I was dreading that answer. I was thinking the same thing. I'll check with them tomorrow to see what they have to say. Thanks.

Ad, that was my first guess, so I've been over them twice, and found them to be perfect. Thanks also. It's been driving me crazy!
Old 06-23-2003, 10:51 PM

gt2btubbed: Where did you get the coil springs? I bought mine from Art Morrison and I am very satisfied.... I know its a hassle but stuff happens. It'll work out......GlennK
Old 06-24-2003, 06:59 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Hold on before you go tearing things apart!!

I dont think anyone on this thread has ever messed with a 4 link. Preload will do exactly what you are describing. You can check it by loosening all the jamb nuts, and turning all the rod ends untill there is no tension on them. With a four link, when one bar starts loading up others will be affected in some form or fashion. If you loosen all the jamb nuts, and get the rod ends where they are all unloaded you can mess with the preload to see what it does. I would start with the top right bar(when looking from the rear) and try shortening it. I bet it will unload everything.

It is generally accepted to have some amount of peload on the passenger side tire. This is due to the car trying to lift that tire on launch. Once you get all the bars unloaded, you can slowly turn the top right bar so that is gets longer. This will add preload to that tire. You will also see it raise that side of the car.

I think you wil notice that you will be right back where you started when you go through this process. Hope this helps.

Chris
Old 06-24-2003, 09:20 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

46, I got the back half kit from Alton's here in Sacramento. It looks like a nice set, but looks can be deceiving.

Thanks Turbo! I do have a couple questions though. It does have rod ends on the four link, but I have to take them off in order to adjust them, is that normal? Also, all the bars right now are in their shortest state. I tried adjusting the top right one like you said (I was actually making it longer though), but once I did that, I couldn't get it to bolt back up because the holes didn't line up any more. I couldn't figure out a way to "push" the top of the rear end back in order for them to line up. Is there some sort of trick that I don't know about or that I'm missing? Or should the rod ends be able to be adjusted while being mounted?

When I get off work today, I'll work on the bottom right bar and make it longer (will that be ok since it's the opposite of making the top one shorter?). Thanks everyone for all your help! I don't know what I would do without this board!!!!!
Old 06-24-2003, 11:38 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Auto Terms and Definitions Used in Modern Engine T... Last photo:

The rod ends should be able to be adjusted in the car if they are assembled proplerly. The rod ends at the opposing ends of each rod should be threaded opposite of eachother. This means you just turn the rod itself, and the opposed threads will shorten or lengthen the overall length. If yours will not do this, I would guess it is a street setup or something. I am dealing with a competition engineering race setup, but I think they are all the same.

Also, changing the bottom is not the same. You should use the bottom bars to set the axle orientation in the car so that it tracks correctly. You should set them so about 5 threads are showing on the rod ends. This will give you a little bit to work with i adjustment is needed. Next you set the pinion angle with the top left bar. When that is done, you install the top right bar in a neutral position with no preload. Once installed, you can turn the bar itself to add a little bit of preload. This would be done by lengthening the bar about 1/2 turn or so.

Chris
Old 06-24-2003, 11:48 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

Great Chris, thanks for the advise. I don't have the third member in yet, or a driveline. That will all be coming when I get the money, and my main concern with the car right now is the getting the engine mounted and the firewall cleaned up. I'll take both of the bottom rods off tonight and back them out so that 5 threads show on both sides, and I'll work with the top ones like you said. I still do have another question. How can I tell if there is some preload by looking at it? (Might sound like a stupid question, but) When I'm looking for preload, should the rear end be hanging or should I jack up the rear end to compress the springs. Like I said, this is totally new to me, and I have no one to turn to for help (exept you guys, and it's been the best help anyways!). Thanks again!
Old 06-24-2003, 12:10 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

The car should be setting on the ground to set the preload. I did not realize that it was still being assembled. You can set the car perfectly level being supported by jack stands at the axle tubes. The car will need to be at ride hieght. Then install the bars as outlined before. you should not have to take the bars out to change the thread count if they are threaded like I discussed before. Just take the top right bar out, and it should free up the rest of them for adjustment. It is kindof weird and hard to understand how they affect each other untill you mess with it a bit.

Chris
Old 06-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

Cool Chris, you've been a great help. I do believe that 4 link is a "street" type like you said (I don't think one of the ends is adjustable), but I will know for sure tonight when I get undernieth it. I'll go over it tonight and let you know how it went. Thanks again!
Old 06-24-2003, 05:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Working with chromed bolts
Last journal entry: New to me T-Bucket
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 9

4 Link Setup

Which Alston kit do you have? I just finished an Alston Eliminator II and FAB 9 rear for the street on a '68 Nova. It has the adjustable ends with jamb nuts, I can't believe they'd make a kit without them! Did you by it new and do you have the setup instructions that came with it? If not, drop me a line and I'll copy mine for you along with the instant center configurations and whatever else I might have.

Larry
Old 06-25-2003, 08:25 AM
Kid With A Wrench...

Last photo:

Thanks Larry, I have no idea what kit it is. I traded a few things for this Nova a couple years back, and the back half was already done (the welds were all crap so I had to have it redone ). I was going to check it out last night, but had to work until almost midnight last night and didn't get a chance to get under it. I do know that the all the links are blue if that makes a difference . I don't have any type of instructions for it. I'm not doing any overtime tonight, so I'll definitly be checking it out, and hopefully getting it level. If I get lost or confused, I'll keep you in mind. Thanks!

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.