4 point seat belts or not? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2010, 10:20 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4 point seat belts or not?

Thinking about going the 4 point route in my 36 Chevy 2 door sedan and would like opinions on what would be good or bad about this option. There is no place to mount a 3 point system to the B pillar and I want more than just lap belts. I have not ruled out sebring type seats with the built in 3 point system but I have found a lot of bucket seats I like that would work with the universal 4 point systems. Why don't more people use 4 point belts in streetrods, what are the positives and negatives?
Thinking of these in all 4 seats to accommodate the wife and 2 kids. http://wescoperformance.stores.yahoo.net/am4point.html
Thanks

Jeff

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2010, 11:58 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Contact adhesive
Last journal entry: 49 Packard
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 22

Let's put this in General Rodding Tech.

Dan

No one lives forever, the trick is creating something that will.
Old 03-21-2010, 11:20 AM

if i could re-do one thing on my daily driver that i had to go and do 5 years ago now, it would be not putting in a 4pt seat belt, granted yours probably isn't a DD but, the constant restraint (reaching the radio, something on the dash/seat next to me) becomes a pita real quick. If a passenger isn't careful to make sure the belt is in the door it slams into the jamb... not saying you won't be happy with them if its an occasional driver, however I won't be doing 4 points again on a street vehicle.
Old 03-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Hi Jeff, I'll give you the same answer on this forum that I gave you on the other forum.....

The problem with the floor-mounted shoulder belts is the line of pull. In a head-on incident, the body will be thrown forward. Because of the anchor point at the floor, this will cause the shoulder belts to be pulled downward on the shoulders,resulting in crushing of the spinal vertebrae. The force can be such that the belts actually pull down through the seat.

The shoulder belt anchor point needs to be directly to the back as soon as the belt comes up over the shoulder. That's why the crossbar in a roll bar or roll cage installation. That's to anchor the shoulder belts. Problem is, most cruiser guys don't want to install a bar across the car because it inhibits entry/exit into the rear seat.

I have young guys and gals who show up all the time at Friday Night Drags technical inspection at Firebird with floor-mounted shoulder belts. I instruct them to go back to the pits and remove the shoulder belts all together, then come back to tech.

Here's a tutorial from SFI concerning belt installation....
http://www.sfifoundation.com/
Old 03-22-2010, 05:39 PM

Last photo:

I appreciate the reply and value your post but I have done a lot of searching and about the only thing negative that I have found is that they aren't very handy when it comes to reaching forward or backwards like briskedm stated.
I do understand what you are saying about having them mounted high behind the seat and I agree, that's not an option.
I still have to wonder, if they are that dangerous how are the ones in the link allowed to be sold?
Thanks

Jeff
Old 03-22-2010, 05:43 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford engine specifications Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 8

I'm using 4 point belts and am aware of the potential consequences - but I do have a '31 Ford roadster without (at this time) a roll bar. That leaves me with the floor mounted version. I chose these as at least a lot better choice then none at all. They aren't the Simpson/Impact design but a standard passenger car type. When (if?) I install a roll bar, then that type will be installed
Old 03-23-2010, 01:17 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

I checked with my insurance company and found that they would likely cancel my insurance as they consider these as racing equipment. Something to think about. Don't ask about the logic. I had a difficult time convincing them that I needed a roll bar to attach the seat belts to for the very reason techinspector noted. They want me to use a 3 point using the roll bar as the B post mount for the shoulder mount. No 4 point or 5 point however. My car has a wood (2x2) and fiberglass B post how are your going to put a bolt in that that will hold a seat belt in a collision??
Old 03-23-2010, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

Years ago the Datsuns had a setup that might be of interest...

They likewise didn't have a decent B-pillar mount, so they mounted the sash belt to the roof beside the rear seat.

Some other models had the sash belt go elsewhere (low down beside the rear seat, I think), but had another loop of belt webbing from the roof that held it high just behind the driver. I think this applied to the 240Z.

I simply wouldn't drive without a 3-pointer...
Old 03-24-2010, 05:27 PM
just passin' thru

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod
Last journal entry: Willys - Body and Paint
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

There is another option you may want to look at.

Try these two sites:
http://www.corbeau.com/products/harness_belts/

and

http://www.schrothracing.com/store/T...autocontrol-II

Both offer a 4-point belt that mounts like a 3-point system, with the shoulder belts being tied together and connecting to a retractor. The Corbeau belts have retractors that are the inertia type, whereas the Schroth belts have an electronic lockup system for the shoulder belts, and it is reflected in their price. I believe both websites give the requirements for the location of the shoulder belt/retractor anchor point for proper safe function.

Take a look, it may be what you're looking for.

Steve

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.