4 spd install help needed - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-18-2005, 03:51 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4 spd install help needed

I'm converting my car fron an automatic to manual.I had a Saginaw 4 spd rebuilt by a local tranny shop.I brought it home and tried to shift it using levers from the linkage kit and noticed the 1st-2nd gear was jammed. I brought it back to the shop and they got it shifting and also installed the shifter and linkage.I tried shifting it before installing it and it would not go into gear sometimes. I thought once I had it bolted in it would be easier to get in gear. Now its in and I'm still having problems getting it in and out of gear. I have the back wheels jacked off the ground and cant get from 2nd to 3rd with motor running. Also when I put shifter in neutral the tranny remains in gear and the wheels keep spinning. Its also very noisy in 2nd gear. I'm new to this so I'm wondering if it's something I did when intalling the clutch assembly or tranny? Does it sound like the tranny shop is to blame? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-18-2005, 04:24 PM

My money would bet that the linkage needs adjusting. Do you have gear oil in it?
Old 12-18-2005, 08:33 PM

Last photo:

If its a Hurst shifter, there is an alignment hole in the shift arms. Put shifter into neutral and slide a 1/4" or 3/8" (can't really remember what size) allen head wrench through the hole. Make sure it goes all the way way through the 3 holes. It will align all 3 arms in neutral. You will have to disconnect the linkage rods to get correct alignment. Also check that you have full engagement of each gear. Back off the over-shift bolts and shift into 2nd. Bottom out the overshift bolt and back off approx one full turn then tighten the jam nut. Do the same in 3rd gear. If all is good then possibly the bell housing is out of alignment and putting a side load on the imput shaft.
Old 12-18-2005, 08:38 PM

Last photo:

I did put gear oil in, but front end was jacked up at the time so it may have seemed full when front was higher causing oil to come out fill hole. I'll check it again when car is level. I think linkage might be off, but it still was n't shifting right before linkage was on. I'll keep trying. Thanx
Old 12-18-2005, 08:46 PM

Last photo:

How can I tell if bellhousing is out of alignment?
Old 12-19-2005, 05:47 AM

Last photo:

You need to remove the trans and install a dial guage on the crank with the guage feeler on the hole in the bell housing. Turn the engine over and measure runout. If you are using a factory stock bell housing you should be ok but aftermarket bell housings do need to be checked.
Old 12-19-2005, 07:05 AM

Last photo:

I am using a factory GM bellhousing that came from a running/driving car with no problems. I'm going to go back and redo the shifter linkage. Even if the linkage was off I should still be able to shift within the gears it got stuck in right? Ex. 1st/2nd or 3rd/4th. I'm getting hung up in one gear sometimes. If its stuck in 1st why can't I get 2nd also?Wouldn't that mean the problem is inside the tranny? Hope this makes sense. Thanx for the help.
Old 12-19-2005, 10:34 AM

Last photo:

Another thing to consider is if the shifter is not new it may be worn out. I had my trans out last summer, shifter worked good and when reinstalled no reverse. Trans shifted ok when using the linkage on the trans itself (its a Saginaw as well) Bought a new shifter and works great. Soaked the old one in penetrating fluid for about a week and seems to work ok so I have a spare just in case.

Last edited by Steve karch; 12-19-2005 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Really bad spelling and gramatical errors
Old 12-19-2005, 10:37 AM

If you have new sliders and syncros it will be a little sticky at first. Get your linkage squared away. When you adjust the linkage as per Steve's post, dont forget to jump under the car and make sure the linkage does in fact have the tranny tab all the way into gear. I think you can go to here http://go.mrgasket.com/Faqs.aspx?BrandID=2 and read a little more.
Old 12-20-2005, 02:52 PM

Last photo:

The shifter is older. My new one was on back order for 3 months from Hurst and arrived yesterday.I'll put it in and do the linkage this weekend. The old shifter did seem to have lots of dirt in it although it appeared clean on the outside. You could hear dirt grinding as you shifted it. What should I use to clean it? Thanx again.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:23 PM

Last photo:

I use brake cleaner to clean and a teflon based spary lube. Can't remember the name but it leaves no residue and remains dry. I think PFD or PDF. Something like that.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:31 PM

Last photo:

I pulled the shifter and linkage off tonight and still have a problem. I bolted the linkage arms back on to check if tranny would shift by hand.Reverse went in and out of neutral with no problems. 3rd/4th had no problems either. 1st/2nd seemed alright at first then locked up. I noticed that I could get it working, but if I spun the driveshaft even slightly moving the tranny internals it would bind up again. I would keep spinning it and working the linkage until it eventually shifted again. This went on for 10 minutes until I gave up for the night. I had 1st gear, 1st/2nd synchro assy and shift forks replaced when tranny was rebuilt. Would any of this play a part in whats happening? Thanx

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.