Hot Rod Forum banner

4 speed to 5 speed crossmember

925 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  AutoGear 
#1 ·
Curently I have my transmission cross member set up for a muncie 4 speed but I'm switching to a 5 speed that is a little bigger will I have to move the cross member.

#5 ·
Fabbing up a Getrag or a small NV unit isn't Monster Garage, just make sure what you're getting has a street friendly ratio spread. Some transmissions in trucks have a really deep 1st gear and a second gear around 2.5:1. You would probably find 1st to be useless in that case and never use it.
My suggestion would be an S10 T5 with camaro V8 guts in it. This puts the shifter in a very friendly spot for bench seat / console applications. They're good to about 350ft pounds if you really hammer on it often and with the proper S10 unit, you can still use a cable speedo

Another option would be an M20 with its 2.52 1st, and a 3.55 or 3.23 axle.

A third option would be the A833 4spd OD from a GM pick up. This is probably closer to fitting already and its based on the mopar 4spd

A 4th option would be an aftermarket M22 gearset with a 2.98 1st and change your axle to 3.08s. You will have the strength of the M22, better highway mileage with 3.08s in the back, and you'll run it in direct drive 4th instead of on a countershaft 5th.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.