4 speed AOD installed on a '75 Torino - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2006, 01:42 PM

Last journal entry: Nick's '75 Torino
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

4 speed AOD installed on a '75 Torino

What kind of problems am I looking at in the beginning? I 'got a 351 W and a C4 now. I would like to install a 4 speed AOD to match with my 351 W. If I go with a manual AOD and some type of floor shift (possible a Quicksilver or something similar; any suggestions?) Is this an easier install than the electronic AOD.

Any help and suggestions are welcome. I'm located in the Metro Detroit area.

Milford Nick
mkamich@comcast.net

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-19-2006, 05:57 PM
Cobra Pilot

I recently installed a Ford AOD transmission behind my 351C. It originally had a C6, but with a 3.73 rear I definitely needed a overdrive. I did alot of research and found I had to replace my flexplate. I understand with the 351W it is a simple bolt up operation. I had a local shop rebuild a AOD from a pickup, because it has more internal clutches. I also allowed them to install it, so I would have a warranty. With the AOD, a TV cable is required and runs from the tranny to the carb. It is critical that this be adjusted properly or transmission failure will result. (Another reason why I had the shop install it). Also make sure you at least get the transmission yoke so you can adapt it to your driveshaft. I have over a 1000 miles on my transmission and I love it. At approx 1800 - 2000 I'm running about 60 mph. I'll see if I can locate more info and pass it on to you. Good luck, Everett.

Last edited by Everett II; 03-20-2006 at 05:22 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:29 PM
Cobra Pilot

Hey Nick, alittle more info for you. I used a Lokar shifter, TV cable and dip-stick. They have a web site, just type in Lokar. I also got alot of info from www.transmissioncenter.net/aod.htm. Very helpful. They make a conversion kit to switch a AOD transmission to any 289/302/351W. I used the AOD because it doesn't require any electrical hook-up. I like it simple. My 351C is running approx 400 hp, and I'm using a 2800-3000 stall converter and an auxiliary cooler, seems to be a great set-up. I'm running it in a EM-Cobra which weights just under 2000lbs. Hope this helps, Everett.

Last edited by Everett II; 03-19-2006 at 06:38 PM.
Old 03-19-2006, 06:46 PM

Last photo:

I installed an AOD on the 57 Tbird 312 and the trans was purchased from the previous posting "The transmission center" good people to deal with and the trans has been great.

I keep the same floor shifter so purchased the Locar AOD kit and TV cable.
Very easy to install and than had a transmission place adjust to pressure.
It was a very simple job!!

Since then I have gotten a pedal and cable assembly off of a 90 T-Bird and adapted to my system so I could eliminate the original bell crank.
(my showing days are done)

All said and done its the best money I could have spent, gas mileage doubled (just short) and it will now keep up with a new Mustang till about 70 or so.
Its a totally different car but if I did it again I would have installed a computer AOD.
Old 03-20-2006, 11:17 PM

4 speed aod replaced on a 75 torino

Everett,
Can you tell me about the flexplate change you had to make. I just did some research on installing a later {94} AODE behind a 70 351c and I thought the flexplates were the same. I took the original 94 flexplate to an auto parts store and compared it with a flexplate for a 351c c6 combo and they were identical. I am getting ready to do the swap and now I am concerned I may need a different flexplate. Thanx, Bob myers, SD.
Old 03-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Cobra Pilot

Hi Bob, Before I did my C6 to AOD swap I checked with the transmission center.net and they had plenty of info. They told me that the stock 351C flex-plate would not work due to its thickness. This would cause early front pump failure. They even have a single sentence stating this on there site. Check them out. I continued to check other sites and found Windsor-Fox.com. They had a flexplate that would work with my swap to an AOD. I purchased the Windsor-Fox flexplate, block plate and bolts for the install. Check there site, especially the Frequently asked question column. Good information there. After I received the parts, I checked them to my original and found, like you that the dimensions were the same, even the blockplate was the same thickness. The only difference was mine had a lightweight flexplate and the Windsor-Fox flexpate was a standard. Both were the 28.2 oz. I used the new parts, but guess I really didn't have to. Take a look at the sites and see what you think. Good luck with your install, Everett.

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.