4 speed hydro/stick - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2012, 10:41 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

4 speed hydro/stick

just wondering how many of you old tranny guys are still out there built alot of those back in the day it was the first hp.drag automatic

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-01-2012, 11:14 PM
Grumpy Old Goat Herder

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by anglia427
just wondering how many of you old tranny guys are still out there built alot of those back in the day it was the first hp.drag automatic
I think your best bet would be to contact B&M, as I believe they built/sold more hydro/sticks than anyone back in the day.
Old 04-02-2012, 09:36 AM

Last photo:

^^ What he said
Also: Art Carr restored a friend's pushbutton modified 727 in the early 2000s. Im not sure where he is or even if hes associated with Art Carr Trans anymore...someone else may have more info
Old 04-02-2012, 05:50 PM

hydro

i didnt make the post clear.i built alot of them, was wondering if anyone else on here messed around with them.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

It's been a very long time since I even looked at one. Back in the early 60's there was a book by "Hyro-Motive" that had about every spec available and most of the modifications that really worked. This was great for us back yard guys. I only did a few of the trans as if you did them right they rarely failed.

The gasser guys found quickly that the super low gear was not as cool as was thought. It was very difficult to control the shift and it came so fast that you had a hard time getting the shift without over speeding the motor. Most guys either let the trans shift automatically from 1-2 or blocked off the 1st gear altogether. Please don't ask how this was done. I don't remember at all. There was something about a tube that was installed and some ports that were changed but that's it.

Over all they were a great trans for the Olds and Pont crowd and carefully done they worked with the sbc too. Awlfully heavy for anything else. The Torqflite and clutchflite took over from the hyrdo's by about 64-65.

There are a few streetrod guys that get into them and I know you can still buy a lot of parts from the better trans supply houses. I don't know if B&M
still gets into them or not. Worth a call.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:10 AM

hydro

I have the 56 olds motor and older hydro (no park, R is park) in my 54 F100 I'm working on. I havn't been inside one yet but I'm going to run it as everything seems to work good. Had a few Olds back in the day and they were tough as nails. Motor and trans came out of an old hot rod so it may be modified. Haven't had it out of yard yet so we'll see. Sure runs good.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:21 PM
bentwings

Last photo:

Absolutely right on "park position. haha

Be sure to get the TV linkage adjusted right. It shouldn't be to hard as the trans and motor are of the same vintage.
Old 04-03-2012, 09:03 PM

hydro

we used to run on in my 49 anglia and a friends 41 willys they were both 53 olds units with 10.5 coulplings[chevy pick up bells]when i was with vitar these were the strongest at the time before converters were evolving .also were the clutch flight and turbos but they were hand grenades.now we all use powerglides
Old 04-04-2012, 08:01 PM

I GAVE all my Hydro stuff away several years ago, and now regret it. Biggest thing against the Hydro.....WEIGHT!!! Then parts availability, the right tools, and someone who still knows the Hydro. Even the price of the Hy-Rank Hydro book is rediculous (Copies for $125 on E-Bay). More than 20 years ago I contacted B & M, and they did'nt have any writen material, let alone anyone with the knowledge, working there any longer. Their time came and went, along with all the 301 Chevys, J-2 Olds, and Pontiac tri-powers.
Old 04-07-2012, 10:53 PM

When I was in high school I had a 33 Plymouth with a 51 Cad 331 and the old 4 speed hydro. That transmission was the toughest thing on the car. I blew a lot of drive shafts but never the box.
Dave.
Old 04-08-2012, 06:04 PM

hydro

got rid of all my stuff too.only thing i still have is a b/m slant pan type bellhousing for chevy.theres a guy on here 36 willys he still runs them in a retro gasser.as far as any shops still doing these things forget about that your on your own but if i can help let me know

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.