4 speed muncie problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2003, 03:34 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

4 speed muncie problems

Okay where do I start,
Heres what happend I was driving and third gear just started to grind when up shifting or down shifting, so I thought I could make it home in 1,2,4. I get to the last stop light before my house and I pull up to it in 4th (didn't down shift to slow down) and it was stuck in 4th, so the light turns green and I decide to ride the clutch and go for it(yes I know bad for the clutch), but I make it home. I then a couple hours later i find out to get it out of 4th gear, I need to rock the car back and forth while someone trys to get it out of gear by wiggling the stick. Did it and it worked. The next day I was going to bring it to school (auto shop)and put it up on the lift to see what the problem was. I drive it half way there and 4th gear gets stuck again so I stop and push my car out of the middle of the road. The clutch also went to the floor becasue the rod that goes to the clutch fork bent after it got stuck in 4th(fixed wasn't a problem).
As im getting towed the rest of the way to auto shop I have the car on to use the power steering. Its in 4th with the clutch out(cluth not working becasue of bent rod) and it does this accasional grind, not sure if its when I go over a bump(mabey linkage im thinking.) I get it on the lift, I move the linkage underneath by hand and it comes out of fourth but still wont go into third. When I move the 4th and 3rd linkage by hand the 1st and 2ndl linkage moves with it. I couldn't see any binging so we thought it was internal. I tow the car home drop the tranny and pull off the linkage and inspection cover. No chiped gears and what im guessing are the brass synrows (brass rings next to the gears) are fine. I play with the gears making sure nothing is seized. Put it all back together and it goes into 3rd and shifts fine. I then take off the shifter to see if that whats making it shift two linkages at once. It's the shifter moving 1,2,3, and 4 all at the same time making my tranny bind and not go into 3rd. I put the tranny with the shifter back together as I had takin it out of the car. I then saw when I shifted from 1st to 3rd it would leave 3rd gear in gear while going into 1st and vise versa. I've sorta narrowed it down to the shifter.
I think thats my problem but I don't know how to fix it. If you can't understand a part of this tell me and I will try to explain it better. Help me please!
(65 elcamino not original tranny don't know when the new muncie was put in).

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-21-2003, 05:11 PM
Gettin a life..Goodbye

Last photo:

What kind of shifter-- Hurst Competition plus or other?
Old 12-21-2003, 07:23 PM

First off did you have the linkage on when you checked the shifter? Second Muncies are bad about the cases wearing at the front bearing area. Since you stated trans has apparently been rebuilt this could be the case, the syncros could have been the only thing replaced and the old bearings left in. Also you need to pull the side cover back off and check the detent springs at the shifter forks and see if they are pulling the notched arms back into place. This sounds like a combination of things and may be just as much internal as well as external. Check this and get back to us and we'll go deeper if necessary.
Old 12-21-2003, 08:10 PM

Last photo:

Had the same problem.

I would follow the advice previously given. I have a Muncie and had the same problem and discovered the following.

1. The little round bushings that fit in the shift leavers, that the shift rods fit into were binding. I removed these, took a dremel tool and ground just a little off the inside diameter. Put a dab of wheel bearing grease on each one and re-installed.

2. The shifter I had was out of adjustment. On my shifter there was a way you could align all the shift arms coming out of the shifter and install a 1/4 inch alignment tool. As far as I know all shifters have some type of adjustment.

After doing the above, I never had a problem with gear shifting again. While you have it up there you might check to be sure the gear lube is up to the correct level inside the transmission. Hope this helps.
Old 12-23-2003, 04:44 AM
Gettin a life..Goodbye

Last photo:

Along the same line as HotRodMan said go buy yourself some steel bushings. Mr Gasket aka Hurst makes replacements for the cheap plastic ones. Buy the kit for 11 bucks and it fixes a lot of shifting problems.
Old 12-23-2003, 06:47 AM
cutouts and 7k shifts = cops

definateley follow the advise from above; and when it gets stuck, try violently shaking the shifter around. I had a Hurst Comp Plus that was worn out and when they get that bad - just ship to the factory and have it reman'd. I think if you can stick any more than .030 between the shifter plates it is time. Also check you clutch and make sure it is adjusted correctly. It might not be engaging correctly, making the synchos turn to dust.

good luck

cj
Old 12-24-2003, 04:59 PM

Yes it is Hurst competition plus, I removed the cover again after reading a tranny book and the stud that goes into the inspection cover holding the detent cam had fallen out. All the parts were laying in the bottom of the transmission in tack surprisingly. I taped the stud back into place and put the detent cam back together.
I put the tanny back in my car today and it worked like a champ.
Thanks

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.