Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 4 wheel manual disc questions.
View Single Post
Old 07-04-2012, 04:54 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6426yy View Post
Thanks Cobalt,
I'm not into arguing, And I agree with everything your saying. I've been reading up on this since I did the swap. The master I'm using is a 23 or 24mm bore can't remember and I switched to the manual pivot hole on the brake pedal arm. I think it is 1:6 but that's reading someone elses figure not mine. I know all the bleeders are up and I bleed and bleed these to no avail. I used a mityvac like 3 times and then had my stepson help me do it the old fashioned way and there were still soft and wouldn't get harder if you pumped them up. So the res valves I'm using won't actually hurt anything will they? This is mainly a toy and I hope to run it 1/8mi a lil bit.
I believe you have bled them right, if they weren't you'd still have a soft pedal, even with the RP valves.

My worry is that there will be some drag on the rotor from the calipers having a RP valve, and that drag equals heat. That said, if the way you're configured allows there to be a RP valve and NO friction from the pads dragging on the rotors, you can assume there shouldn't be a problem. I'm just the type who would be wondering the WHY part of the equation- as in why does the RP valve help; what is the root cause that the RP valve is "correcting".

In any event, I would recommend you keep a close eye on the rotor/caliper temps as you go forward and start putting miles on it. Even a slight drag can, over time, overheat the brakes and that can lead to fluid boiling (mushy brakes all over again), warped rotors, and even cooking the wheel bearing grease.

You should be able to keep tabs on this by just feeling the outside of the wheel and caliper. Don't touch the rotor right after a drive, even if things are normal they'll be hot after a stop. It will be normal for the front brakes to be hotter than the rears, being as how the front brakes are about 70% of the stopping power of the brake system. If you think the rears are as hot or hotter than the fronts, that- to me- would indicate a possible problem that needed immediate attention. This would be an ideal place for an infrared thermometer. Harbor Freight has the Cen-Tech p/n 93984 for $20
The Following User Says Thank You to cobalt327 For This Useful Post:
6426yy (07-06-2012)