Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - 4"x2"x3/16" tube frame
View Single Post
Old 01-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Thanked 1,013 Times in 849 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus's 40 View Post
how thick is an original frame? seems like when I boxed the model A frame it was thicker then .125 but I could be wrong
It has been a long time since I was around any early frames, but I seem to remember that Henry used either 11 gauge or 10 gauge steel.
Sheet Metal Thickness Gauges
He used "C" section channel though, not closed tube material like we normally use today. For many years, hot rodders have used boxing plates to close in the fourth side of the channel for strength.

Autoweld has capability to mandrel bend most of the boxed materials that we would use today......
Auto Weld Chassis Components Racing Manufacturing Chassis Products, 9" Ford Housings, 2x3 2x4 Mandrel Bent Frame Bending Danville PA

In the past, I have used the method of sawing through 3 sides of the box, bending it on the cut and welding it back solid. You can make acceptable bends in this manner at home, with several cuts. The number of cuts you make and where you put the cuts will determine the amount of bend you can achieve. The cuts must be made perfectly perpendicular to the run of material though, or you will end up with a pretzel. Ask me how I know.