4"x2"x3/16" tube frame - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-05-2013, 04:36 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

4"x2"x3/16" tube frame

I am building my own frame for a 1941 Ford 1/2ton pickup truck, chopped 4 1/2". I am also building my own short box. Front end will be straight axle ,4" drop, spring over, reverse eye., 350/700R4 setup. I ordered a set of Plans from Hugh's Rat Shack on EBAY for 20 bucks. That was a waste of 20 bucks as Youngsters has free plans with more info. Question is, what is a good centre to centre width for this frame?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-06-2013, 08:21 AM

Last journal entry: Gus's40
Last photo:

when I built mine for a 40 chevy cab I measured from the original rear body mounts in the cab and ran the frame tubing to the outside of the holes and and had to reinforce the fronts because the amount of taper in to get the width I needed for the front cross member wouldn't work with the original front ones. I used a model a front cross member that's what determined the width of my frame
The Following User Says Thank You to Gus's 40 For This Useful Post:
DeeW (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 08:59 AM

Last photo:

the front of the frame at the back side of the cross member is 24 inches measured inside the rails and at the back of the cab its 36 inches
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	painted frame 3.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	41.8 KB
ID:	70326   Click image for larger version

Name:	painted frame 2.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	70327   Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	5.8 KB
ID:	70328  
DeeW (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 09:35 AM
the 'Duracell Project'

Last photo:

i've never built a frame, but i'd think that 4x2x3/16 would be very heavy, unless your making a heavy hauling or tow vehicle.
4x2x1/8 would weigh a third less, be as thick as the stock frame and a lot more structure than the stock C-channel frame
Old 01-06-2013, 09:41 AM

Last photo:

it is a little heavy but I figured since its 2x4 instead of 2x6 I would use thicker material, my truck weighs 2500 with me in it
Old 01-06-2013, 12:07 PM

4"x2"x3/16"

I think 3/16" is a good choice. Remember, pot holes,road kill, etc. Also the Plans I bought on EBay from Hughs Rat Shack in NM are no better than the freebie Youngsters Plans and were incomplete along with a non existent web site.........hmmm....... anyways, 20" is the standard front inside rail measurements for a 350 set up that I have concluded from various sites. Having never constructed a frame before, does this sound right. I am running a 4" drop straight Speedway front end with spring over, reverse eye on a front perch.

Last edited by DeeW; 01-06-2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Thread has already been addressed
Old 01-06-2013, 01:01 PM

Last photo:

thats what I have the speedway 4 inch drop reverse eye spring over and I got a 2 inch drop model A cross member from them also. I probably could have got it to 23 inside width I didnt trim anything off the cross member I ran it inside the frame against the inside of the frame rails then boxed all around it. That left me plenty of room for my steering and if I ever went with block huggers and full exhaust to clear with no problems
DeeW (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Position the body and bed, front axle and rear axle mocked up on your fixture, then use frame rails to tie all of it together at the ride height you want. You may not know that you can "Z" the frame rails in any manner you want them to achieve a low or high ride height. Don't wait until you have built the whole frame and then have to jump through hoops to get the car at the ride height you want it to be. Plan ahead. Also, one of the most common mistakes I see when building a truck with a bed is that the cab and bed are not parallel. Eyeball the profile of the pair and tilt the bed up or down to match up with the beltline of the cab. The finished product will be much more pleasing to the eye than having the cab and bed non-parallel. For the rest of you guys, 2" x 4" x 0.120" wall rectangular steel tubing will be all the strength you need in this type of project.
The Following User Says Thank You to techinspector1 For This Useful Post:
DeeW (01-06-2013)
Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

I totally agree with the tubing size Techinspector posted! There' no reason on earth you'll need thicker than 1/8" or .120" tubing for any street vehicle or even offroad, unless it was going to see extreme abuse. Even then it would just need more bracing, not thicker wall tubing!
Old 01-06-2013, 08:07 PM

Last photo:

how thick is an original frame? seems like when I boxed the model A frame it was thicker then .125 but I could be wrong
Old 01-07-2013, 08:47 AM

Last photo:

Most factory frames are even thinner than .120"
Old 01-07-2013, 01:18 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gus's 40 View Post
how thick is an original frame? seems like when I boxed the model A frame it was thicker then .125 but I could be wrong
It has been a long time since I was around any early frames, but I seem to remember that Henry used either 11 gauge or 10 gauge steel.
Sheet Metal Thickness Gauges
He used "C" section channel though, not closed tube material like we normally use today. For many years, hot rodders have used boxing plates to close in the fourth side of the channel for strength.

Autoweld has capability to mandrel bend most of the boxed materials that we would use today......
Auto Weld Chassis Components Racing Manufacturing Chassis Products, 9" Ford Housings, 2x3 2x4 Mandrel Bent Frame Bending Danville PA

In the past, I have used the method of sawing through 3 sides of the box, bending it on the cut and welding it back solid. You can make acceptable bends in this manner at home, with several cuts. The number of cuts you make and where you put the cuts will determine the amount of bend you can achieve. The cuts must be made perfectly perpendicular to the run of material though, or you will end up with a pretzel. Ask me how I know.
Old 01-07-2013, 04:00 PM

Last photo:

I like to use 3/16" so you can tap the rails for brake line clamps, fuel line clamps, etc.
You mention 20" as the width of the frame. This is actually too narrow for a 350. My frame measures 23.25" at the front of the engine and tapers to 27.5" at the cowl (inside dimensions). The mechanical fuel pump is only 1" from the frame rail and the low mounted alternator is about 1/2" from the frame rail. This is on a 27T, so the car is narrower than what you have, but you still need the space for your engine.
Old 01-08-2013, 08:41 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaw22w View Post
You mention 20" as the width of the frame. This is actually too narrow for a 350. My frame measures 23.25" at the front of the engine and tapers to 27.5" at the cowl (inside dimensions). The mechanical fuel pump is only 1" from the frame rail and the low mounted alternator is about 1/2" from the frame rail. This is on a 27T, so the car is narrower than what you have, but you still need the space for your engine.
20" is too narrow if you're going inside the rails with headers, or using a mechanical fuel pump, and keeping the engine low in the rails. But my frame is that narrrow and I'm using fenderwell headers and an electric fuel pump, and it fits great.

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.