40 Buick coupe, need input - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2011, 10:02 PM
YUP.. it's a Buick

Last journal entry: the car was completed and looks great
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

40 Buick coupe, need input

I am about to pull the trigger on a 40 Buick coupe. The car is nice with great paint and chrome but an original drivetrain. I have a Buick 455 and a switch pitch 400 trans to put in and can probably locate a leaf spring rear to fit, i'm wondering what the best route is for front suspension? i'd rather not graft on a late model front clip but i want disc brakes and modern suspension characteristics. what are some other options besides the fatguy mustang 2 stuff?

Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2011, 05:44 PM

Last journal entry: starting to go the right direction
Last photo:

check out this thread.
Grafted '03 frame to '37 Buick Frame
there is an alternative to subframing or the MII front end that is brought up in it. I know nothing about it, but it might be what you need.

car sounds like fun. You aren't taking the engine from the car in your picture are you?
hth,
Russ
Old 11-06-2011, 02:00 AM
mopar or no car

Last photo:

is that 40 buick independant front suspension orignally??? if so fat man probably has componets to convert it to disc, or dropped spindels,,,or he can point you in the direction of some one that builds that stuff,,,

the reason im asking is my 40 dodge coupe is orignally an independant front suspension car,,,it has master power disc brake conversion,,a fat man power rack,,,and soon to have fat man dropped up rights,,and eaton coil overs,,
Old 11-08-2011, 06:10 PM

Last journal entry: Latest changes
Last photo:

The 40 is an A arm suspension, but very poor system with knee action shocks. Not worth reusing in it's present state, especially with the extra weight of a big block Buick.
You will want to not only build up better suspension, but also strengthen the frame for the extra weight and HP. The rear can be done with several different choices from a 9" Ford to a 12 bolt, or 10 bolt GM. Some people even reuse stock spring locations with newly fabbed springs, but usually move the center pin to get the tires centered in the rear wheelwells, as they sit forward in stock location. I think 1"-1.5" is usually decent move.
Old 11-11-2011, 12:54 AM
mopar or no car

Last photo:

well if the 1940 GM, is an A arm suspension,,,cant be to hard to change the knee action style shocks over to a modern shock,,, like i said fat man or some one probably has parts to do a disc brake swap and shock brackets,,for a nice street budget cruiser

im sure that frame is plenty strong enough for a big block,,i would assume it has an X in the middle of the frame,,
Old 11-11-2011, 06:58 AM

Last photo:

It's been so long since I owned my '40 Chev coupe that I don't remember if they had an X frame. Regardless, it's the portion in front of the firewall that concerned me when I had mine. You can convert the front to shocks, but they need brackets welded to the outside of the frame and A arm.
Chevy offered the '40 in either A arm or straight axle, dpending on which model, but I believe all Buicks were only A arm, as they were a more expensive line.
I had a neighbor who rolled an old Imperial and I bought it for $50. Took the 413, 727, and rearend. Put them all into my '40 coupe, and I added a crossmember below the engine to help support the motor mounts.
The frame on a '40 is like "hat channel" shape, so it's got a small lip on the bottom of each side, and a flat plate across the bottom to box it in. Not a heavy frame like later Chevys had, so it does need bracing, especially for anything heavier, or with more HP.
Fatman makes a complete A arm kit with Mustang II steering. It includes a new crossmember to replace the stock one that comes out when using their kit.
Here's a link to a guy who changed his straight axle Chevy to a Fatman system:
http://www.astreetrodder.com/1940_chevy.htm
Old 11-11-2011, 02:48 PM
mopar or no car

Last photo:

the 40 dodge uses a X and had hyd shocks from the factory,,,but i dont know what they were thinking,,the shocks are mounted to the A arms,,top and bottom,,,,fat man had frame brackets for the upper shock mount and uses a lower mount on the up right,,,,in the 40 dodge the spindle is bolted to what they call the up right,,fat man has dropped up rights to lower the front of the car ,,all comes as a kit shock and lowering up rights,,,a cross member mustang 2 cant be made for the dodge frame from 1938 till 42,, 46 and up are adaptable,,,

on the 40 dodge u have t cut the front stub and replace it all with a fat man kit,,, but the dodge has a nice A are system,,,mine uses a cavaliere rack, and master power disc,,, car has been down 2 years for engien issues,,hoping to get it resloved this winter and do the front end,,,

where is the guy with the 40 buick that started this topic??
Old 11-11-2011, 08:06 PM

Last photo:

Seems he fell off the face of the earth!
Old 11-15-2011, 01:49 PM
mopar or no car

Last photo:

well wish he would come back and let us know whats going on with his project

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.