Hot Rod Forum banner

40 buick frame same as 40 chev?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  powerrodsmike 
#1 ·
Is a 40 Chevy frame the same in the X member / pedal mount area and as a 40 Buick? It seems like the bodies are very similar between those cars and I'd wonder if the frames are also.

I know the suspensions are different, (the chev uses leafs, while the buick has coils, etc), but I have a guy wants me to put a power booster/mc setup in his car which is a 40 Buick..

If I can use one of the under floor setups from Master power or Brake Tech Solutions for a 40 Chev I will. It will be way cheaper than me making all the brackets and stuff.

I'm hoping to use the pedal also, as the Buick pedal won't work unless it gets modified.

I've called MP, TCI, ECI, BTS, Pete and Jakes and no one seems to know if their bracket/pedal kit will fit a Buick. :(

Thanks for reading this,
Mikey

#4 ·
powerrodsmike said:
Is a 40 Chevy frame the same in the X member / pedal mount area and as a 40 Buick? It seems like the bodies are very similar between those cars and I'd wonder if the frames are also.

I know the suspensions are different, (the chev uses leafs, while the buick has coils, etc), but I have a guy wants me to put a power booster/mc setup in his car which is a 40 Buick..
if i was a betting man i'd say they are damn close if not the same. u might be able to gather so info from THIS PAGE even though it doesnt have the frame info for a 40 chevy, BUT the frames from 37 to 48 all seem to be very similar in design.
as for the suspensions being different that isnt completely true. from like 1937 to 1942 u could get a chevy w/either IFS or a str8 axle, i know this because i have own three 40chevys & they had both front suspensions. along w/several friends who who own late 30's & early 40's cars & they also had both suspensions. don't know if the suspension parts between GM products will innerchange or not but that did come in both forms of suspensions....joe

#5 ·
Thanks Joe, GREAT website!! That got in my favorites instantly :thumbup:

I went out this morning and looked under a friends 48 chevy. I'm not concerned with the suspension at all, as this car has a MII and 10 bolt chevy with 4 bars in the rear now.

The Chevy frame is very different from the Buick in that the Buick is of a channel construction with an "X" member that looks similar to a 35-40 Ford, while the Chevy is a fabbed 'top hat" tube with a small K member and the earlier cars had just crossmembers.

I took a bunch of measurements and maybe if I'm lucky one of the aftermarket pedal assembles will work without too much hassle. One of the problems is the stock pedal was messed around with, and I really don't like modifying a forged pedal in the pivot/ clevis mount. I'll make a new pedal from scratch before I'll take a chance with someone elses experiment.

I can make anything I need, but it is much cheaper, easier and faster to just buy something designed for it, (or that will fit the bill)

As I'm doing this for a customer, I don't want it to turn into a career..

Thanks, mikey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.