40 Chev Project - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2004, 08:54 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

40 Chev Project

Hi There.

I am presently in the process of a 1940 Chevrolet 4 door Master Delux rebuild, as a steet cruiser, modern running gear.

I guess I am looking for someone else's opinion.
I have a 267 small block Chev motor, 2 speed powerglide transmission and rear axle from a 1981 Olds Cutlass. The axle is the perfect width, and I could change the ratio if needed, the motor is a slug, this I know, I checked the archives, but I just want a reliable runner, don`t need to rip up the street anymore. ( getting old, or, more experienced.) Considering the original 6 cyl had 29 horsepower, any improvement should be better. I also have a T5 Borg Warner 5 speed transmission, that I would like to hook up the the 267. and I think I have decided on the Total Cost Involved MII front suspension.

Anybody have any opinions on the direction I am going?

Thanks Ernst.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2004, 04:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

I would look for a better donor car........327 or 350 with a 3 speed automatic.

The 267 is weak is a heavy car. It is a very strong possibility that a 327 or a 350 would get better mileage. A PowerGlide has a 1.76 first gear ratio and a Turbo 350 has a 2.52. ( both are 1 to 1 in high gear ). The Turbo 350 would pull off from the light a LOT better.

TCI makes very good, high quality stuff........you will be happy with their parts.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 09-12-2004, 05:02 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

I agree. Dump the 267 in favor of a cookie cutter 350. They're a dime a dozen, cheap to build and it will not have to work as hard to haul the car around resulting in more power and less stress on the engine which translate into better reliability. The manual trans is a good idea. Don't go with the slip & slide powerglide on the street. They're terrible. If you want an automatic go with a TH-350. Again a dime a dozen and they're cheap and reliable for your purpose.

Centerline
Old 09-13-2004, 11:50 AM

Hi , I'm working on a 39 Chevy 2dr. Iwas given a81 or so Pontiac Lemans, which I thought would have a powertrain I would use till I found out it is a 267.I checked things out and it is more money to rebuild than a 350 and they won't even take it for an exchange core. The r.e. from the Lemans is about 1" narrower if I remember and only a7.5" ring gear. The Olds may be bigger. I found an early 70's Nova r.e. that was same width.It has 3.07 ratio, and have set up for a 700r4 trans, and going to use a 350 engine. I am starting to wonder about using a turbo 350 instead because of my r.e. ratio. I to am building this as a nice cruising car and don't need serious performance.
Old 09-13-2004, 12:42 PM

Hi Ernst.
I agree with the other comments i.e. opting for a 350 cu in. and either a 3, or 4 Speed Automatic in lieu of the 267/Powerglide setup. I find the 350/700R4 Combo works quite well with a 3.08 in my current ride ('53 GMC) ---- it has a nice 1st gear ratio,yet only turns around 2000 rpm when cruisin' the freeways at 70mph.
I'm hauling home my new project on Wednesday; a '39 Chevy Mstr Dlx 4 Dr. It already has the 350/THM400 and a 2.73 rear end ( a bit too tall??). The front suspension has been updated with '50's stuff, but like yourself, I'm considering re-doing it with Mustang rack & pinion. Are you thinking of getting TCI's hub to hub kit, or just their cross member, and junkyard Mustang II power rack? The neat thing about getting an after market kit, is that you can usually opt for proper A Frames (instead of strut) , bigger (11") calipers, and the desired stud patterns. More costly of course ------ I haven't made that decision yet.
Once that's in place, I'll tackle the Body. Are you needing to replace your running boards too? Going with smoothed, or "stock looking" ones? Have you got your sources/suppliers nailed down for that sort of stuff?
Good Luck
Old 09-14-2004, 07:16 AM

Hi Guys.

Thanks for all the replies.

I did not realize the 267 would be more expensive to rebuild than a 350, very good point.

So its off the the scrap yard for a 350, but I would still like to hook up the T5, I got it from an 86 Camaro with a 305. Paid $900 for it a couple of years ago, very hard to find up here in the Great White North.

I am getting the hub to hub kit from TCI, good price $2100 CDN from a supplier in Picton area of Ontario, saves alot of hassels and only 4 hours from me.

I will be recovering the running boards with the rubber mat as original, I want to leave the body and chrome all original, but updated with air ect. It will be a family car, hence the 4 door.

Parts are easy to get from Chevs of the 40`s and in Canada from Antique Chevrolet Parts of Toronto. Fortunatley the car was car was comlpete and running when I bought it, and the old story of I just want to rebuld the engine has now gone a little further. But I am looking for 2 rear fenders, mine have alot of putty in them. I can get fiberglass for aprox $300 each if I remember right.

Thanks again Ernst
Old 09-16-2004, 02:14 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:

gotta 40 chev towtruck. buy it. crate 350

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.