Hot Rod Forum banner

40 Dodge Door Latch

2K views 16 replies 4 participants last post by  deadbodyman 
#1 ·
I have a 40 Dodge business coupe and the latch on the driver doesn't work as well as the other side. I have tried various old Mopar parts places and they don't seem to have any in stock. It is the sprocket wheel type. Does anyone know where I could get one, or could tell me if it can be repaired?

Thanks so much for any help you may give me.

Mike

#4 ·
#6 ·
First, I want to apologize to everyone for not responding earlier, the reply email went to my spam folder.

Old Guy RE: does it stick
It just doesn't close until I really slam the door, which I don't like to do.

Dead Body Man RE: you can have mine
Would you send me some pictures of the ones you have if your offer is still good?

Martinsr RE: ebay links
Thank you so much for the ebay links. I am on ebay all the time and have searched for these latches. I have not been able to find anything, must have been my search criteria. Thanks

Again, I apologize for not responding earlier and my thanks to everyone for your responses.

Mike

#7 ·
Never use too many search words to start, don't be too detailed. If you search something like this start with what I did, 1940 Dodge door, that's it. Now when you get 10k items, then you narrow it down a bit, at handle, or something like that. But start out with a very broad search.

Brian

#9 ·
I've been having a lot of trouble with the site lately so, No worries. I've been cleaning up the shop and accidently found it just after reading your post, it looks right to me (left side ) and meant to take pics which I forgot but I did put it up for you just in case. It works just fine just a little dusty. I have the striker too but just not sure exactly where it is. I'll get a pic for you tomorrow. I'm pretty sure its the one you need but it is from a 46-48 Plymouth, and the arm that goes to the inside door handle may need to be swapped out.

#13 ·
I'm not sure, but I will pull my door panel off and check. I also will check with a guy that deals with old Mopar stuff, he should know. Assuming they will work how much are you asking?

Thanks,
Mike
You can have them, strikers too I have no need for them and have two sets.I checked the links Brian posted and they look the same strikers look the same also

#12 ·
Door Latches

Deadbodyman,
I looked the latches up on Andy Bernbaum's Mopar site, it shows the latches for the front doors fit through years 40-48.

Tell me more about how you converted yours using the Monte Carlo latches. How hard a job was it?

#15 ·
Deadbodyman,
I looked the latches up on Andy Bernbaum's Mopar site, it shows the latches for the front doors fit through years 40-48.

Tell me more about how you converted yours using the Monte Carlo latches. How hard a job was it?
It wasn't hard at all but Ive been doing this a long time. first you need to know they work .then remove them along with everything connected to themand electrical plugs both sides. then make a template showing where the holes are and where the notch for the striker to slip in , remove the striker out of the monty also.
I gutted my doors because Im also doing electric windows and Im only going to be using the channels for the glass that will be redone too since I got rid of the vent window now its one long piece of glass.
Anyways I started by cutting out the inner structure of the door by cutting half the hole that the interior panel clips to this way when I go to weld it back up it'll be in the exact spot it was.
Im running short on time so I'll just post some pics and if you have any questions just ask

Attachments

#16 ·
Now I did make a few mistakes on the first door like I mounted the right doors latch in the drivers door. I made the template from the right door of the monty. luckily the hole for the striker was symmetrical and I just needed to redo the bolt holes that mount the latch. It fit but I didn't have the rods connected so I didn't realize it was upside down until I tried hooking them up (see, if I can do it anyone can) the second mistake was the striker had to be recessed 3/8" there wasn't enough clearance between the door and the jamb to mount it flush like it was in the monty.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.