Hot Rod Forum banner

40 Ford Coupe on Ranger Chassis

18K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  ogre 
#1 ·
I plan to use an 88 Ranger longbed (114" wb) 4X2 chassis for my 40 Ford coupe. Why? It’s a cheap alternative to updating everything on the 71 year-old 40 chassis, and results in a lot stronger chassis which will readily accept a modern power plant, with over-the-counter parts availability. The Ranger track and frame rail widths are narrow, the 4X2 comes with rack and pinion steering, and the 114” wb can easily be shortened to the 40’s 112”. Note that everything on the Ranger is located farther forward than on the 40 relative to the front axle centerline (power plant, controls, firewall/cowl, seating, etc.). So just dropping the 40 body shell over the Ranger platform, and simply retrofitting a V8 (using one of the aftermarket kits) will result in problems, e.g., unworkable ergonomics, poor weight ratio, and lack of clearance for radiator. The Ranger chassis can still be used. My plan: install a Ford 302 V8 as close as possible to the original flathead location, shorten the wb to 112”, mate the 40 body ensuring correct position, height, and pitch, and use aftermarket controls. Result: a lot cheaper than updating the 40 chassis or buying a new chassis, easier installation of a modern power plant, late-model reliability (steering, brakes, suspension, etc.), and over-the-counter parts. I plan to start in 2012. Will update.

#3 ·
The 1998+ Ranger chassis reg cab short bed is 111.5" and the long bed is 117.6". Super cab model is 125.9". there is no 114" in there except that is the wheebase of the '83-'97 long beds but there not rack and pinion SLA suspension.

If your tallking a '88 Ranger, it's twin I beam with a conventional steering box. '98+ is when they switched to the SLA with the rack and pinion

I can't see it working without a complete rework of the Ranger chassis in the rear. It's not anything like a '40 Ford in the rear, and the track width of the '40 is 56" and the Ranger is in the 57-58" range

This is a '94 Ranger frame, I used the front 1/2 of on my rat rod. rear frames are the same thru the years

'40 chassis ( reproduction )

#4 ·
Have you ever tried to put your 10 year old daughters shoe on? They are both shoes, and your daughters are cheaper so buy some for yourself. :rolleyes:

The 40 Ford frame is VERY "curvy" and it fits under the body perfectly, the body and frame fit like your shoe fits your foot, your 10 year old daughters shoe doesn't fit like yours.

Honestly, there are some candidates for frame swaps, I loath them, but there are some out there that can work out. This one, to do this to one of the classic bodies in auto history, sorry, my opinion is it is not the way to go.

Brian

#5 ·
Thanks all.

Some additional thoughts:

88 Ranger 4X2 LB specs can be found at:

http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/s...88&make=Ford&model=Ranger&trimid=3873#trimsel

WB 113.9; front track 55.0; rear track 54.10. I measured mine--exactly what it says.

My body is gutted. It was a low-buck 60's restoration that was later pillaged for parts. My frame is equally nasty. No one holds a 40 in higher regard than me. This one needs to come back but doesn't warrant big bucks. I do intend to minimize any cutting and the end result will be 100 stock-appearing. Sure it will be a challenge--that's why we're hot rodders.

#6 ·
yea, I forgot the older 1's are -1.5" compared to the the 1993+ in the rear.. it is still not rack and pinion SLA front. I'v had 4 Rangers. a '92 and 2 '98's, and the '94 I salvaged the frame from

It could work, but you need to rework the frame almost entirely.. The frame is essentially the same as the frame I used. the rear end is diffrent and the brakes are diffrent. the dip in the center cannot be there. The Ranger cab was meant to sit in the dip, but if you look close at the Ranger, you will see the cab extends 3-4" outward of the dip in the front, but the incline is built into the toe board. essentially what should be done, is pie cut the top of the dip and the bottom of the dip. weld them back level and box the frame.. I would not even attempt to use the rear 1/2 of the frame, just build it out of boxed tubing the right size.. I used 2x3" tubing and boxed it into the C channel..

#8 ·
40 Ford Coupe on Ranger Cassis

Re-thinking. Will def take a closer look at rear part of Ranger frame. I may yet still use the 40 chassis. I stand corrected--Ranger does not have rack and pinion steering--I was thinking of my earlier candidate--a Dodge Dakota 4X2--factory V8, 112" wb, and rack & pinion steering BUT rejected--front track was way too wide for the 40. Thanks again all, especially Matt. Will report back soon.

#10 ·
302 swap

A 302 into the ranger chassis , oil filter and fuel pump interference with the steering gear. ranger rear frame starts the hump up sooner than the ford, more floor interference. AS MARTINSR SAYS IT'S HARDER THAN IT LOOKS. . We saw a early 50's jeep pickup on a blazer chassis at a car show. looked at it and the guy says it was easy. We have a 48 jeepster, It was on a 4 X 4 jeep FC chassis with a SBC, The original jeepster chassis and pickups have the same contour, pickups just longer in the rear. The jeepster needed new brakes , and even new brakes don't stop very well, the front hubs needed repair. total $ 600 parts needed. I found a blazer with a cancered body, 8 wheels-tires , no engine for $ 150. when we started on it We found the 48 has a shorter engine compartment. had to move the engine back 8 in, new motor and trans mounts new drive shafts, new clutch and brake pedal mounting. , steering shaft rework. had to change gas tank, the jeepster is shorter in the rear than a truck. had to rework rear floor, new shock mounting crosmember. The blazer has heaver drive train and front disc. I would reconsider keeping it on a stock frame, upgrade brakes rear end etc. and what size are the ranger discs. I think they were only about 10." I would want 11's if running a new engine,

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.