40 Ford rear axle on a 32 frame with split wishbone. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2007, 11:29 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

40 Ford rear axle on a 32 frame with split wishbone.

I'm more of a late model guy myself with my 66 Mustang. My friend is starting to build a 29 body on a 32 frame. The frame is an aftermarket, I don't know which one off hand but it's designed to mount a 29 body on it. From the start my buddy was going to use a S10 rear axle with coil overs, so he had the frame built this way for him. Now he's decided to take a different path and go for more of a traditional look. He wants to use a 40 rear that he may be able to get cheap along with a model A rear crossmember and buggy spring. He was thinking about splitting the wishbone or I should say have to because he plans on running an open driveshaft (he plans on using a 59A flathead with a T10 4 speed). He's asking me about how and where to mount the wishbone once split. I'm at a little bit of a loss but I was telling him this may take some thought in doing so from a geometery stand point. His plan was to heat the rods to bend them out and use tie rod ends. He was asking if he could mount or locate them on the inner rails of the frame that go toward the transmission. I was thinking that the center line of the rods or arms should be on the centerline of the transmission and add some extra support to where they would mount on the frame. TIA!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2007, 01:18 PM

Last journal entry: 32 Ford cabriolet conversion/windshield
Last photo:

If he is using the enclosed driveshaft from the older Ford cars, then it won't work if you split the bones. That original design allows one rear wheel to move up or down without binding the other side. If you split the bones way out, then both rear wheels will try to react the same....and it puts way too much stress on the attaching points of the bones as well as bending the bones.

The easiest way to see this problem is to fab it all up but without the spring. As you lift one wheel the other will try to lift at the same time.

If you use a modern open driveshaft, then the stresses are still the same, plus the bones won't be strong enough to handle a hard launch.

A front I-beam can twist easily with split bones, but a rear end housing can't twist, and that is why the stress gets transferred to the split rear bones.
Old 11-07-2007, 01:45 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

What to do is to get what we call a Monoball and mount it just under the front u joint and attach the wishbones to that..Keeps the original configuration intact..just shorter is all..You will need a panhard bar with this and as far as the springs use what you want..

Sam
Old 11-08-2007, 06:03 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneMoreTime
What to do is to get what we call a Monoball and mount it just under the front u joint and attach the wishbones to that..Keeps the original configuration intact..just shorter is all..You will need a panhard bar with this and as far as the springs use what you want..

Sam

I like that idea! I would have to agree that the monoball is the best solution from a design standpoint as well. If he's going to run a buggy spring and if he does the monoball, wouldn't this keep the axle located and not need a panhard bar? I would think the panhard bar would fight the buggy spring and visa versa. Just wondering if eliminating the torque tube, will the stock arms be strong enough to coupe with the torque reaction of the axle and braking forces?
Old 11-08-2007, 10:12 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

I missed the buggy spring part... so no panhard bar should be needed..Those arms are fairly strong so I do not see a need to change them..Unless there is a design or packaging difficulty..

Sam
Old 11-08-2007, 10:15 AM

Last journal entry: Dash Mock-up
Last photo:

Do you know how much Horsepower your friend is going to be running? Those old rear ends don't hold up to much-something to consider-
Old 11-08-2007, 12:04 PM

Last photo:

Not a lot of power. My friend is going to keep the flattie real mild and not going to run huge tires. It's mostly going to be a crusier. The car will be relatively light anyway, so not too much HP is needed to make it feel lively.
Old 11-08-2007, 03:41 PM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last photo:

I am not all that concerned about the strength of an early Fod rear..provided it is in good condition..it is the basis for the Halibrand quick change and I know they hold up well..Note" the Champ Car rears are based on the Ford truck version with a 10" ring gear..

Sam
Old 11-09-2007, 07:07 PM

Last photo:

'40 Ford rear end in a '32 frame with split wishbone

Being an after market frame, I assume it has a center crossmember with legs going for and aft. If he were to mount the rear bones to the rear legs as close to the driveshaft as possible, I can't see any problem with using the '40 bones with tie rod ends in them. Pete and Jakes chassis have been set up this way for years.

See ya, Youngster

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.