'40 Hudson - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2010, 11:07 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

'40 Hudson

Trying to fined a car to make into a rod found a '40 Hudson for $900 just wondering if thats a good deal thanks

this site has helped me avoid a bad buy a 29 Chevy that had alot of dry rot in it.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-07-2010, 11:09 AM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

Got any pics or more info on the car? Pics would be so nice.

Cole
Old 11-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,279 Times in 1,120 Posts
Sounds darn cheap to me! ANY car is worth $900, heck a 1995 Honda that isn't running is probably worth that! So a vintage car be it any body style, four door, pickup, ANYTHING is going to be worth $900. Unless it is a rusted out hulk, it sounds good to me. But post a photo or at least more info on condition and body style.

Is it all original, has it been rodded already and it has no motor? It is some old parts car and all the hard to find mouldings and stuff are gone? Give us some more info, sounds interesting.

Brian
Old 11-07-2010, 12:19 PM

Last photo:

info, pics

it has a 6 cylinder flathead engine probably doesn't run and here are some pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hudson front.jpeg
Views:	132
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	49761   Click image for larger version

Name:	hudson rear end 2.jpeg
Views:	127
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	49762   Click image for larger version

Name:	hudson right side 2.jpeg
Views:	153
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	49763   Click image for larger version

Name:	hudson interior.jpeg
Views:	148
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	49764   Click image for larger version

Name:	hudson front left side.jpeg
Views:	141
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	49765  

Old 11-07-2010, 12:23 PM

Last photo:

Yeow, that sucker is rusted BAD. Nope, I would stay a long way from that one. geeeeez, it is really rusted and that is just what I can see in these photos. The ENTIRE floor is gone in that car, from the fire wall to the rear body panel, I will bet a dollar on that. And what a shame, neat car. All original parts, it really is a shame.

And the thing you need to remember there is NOTHING made for that car. I mean NO-THING. No reproduction patch panels, no reproduction rubber, NO-THING.

Now, this is one of the cool things about it, IF it were in better condition. Being such an odd car is fun, it is more challenging to build, it is more interesting when you have it out on the road at a show, having something like this is very cool, but this one is REALLY rough.

Brian
Old 11-07-2010, 12:43 PM

Last photo:

Wow too bad ..

Wow in the add it said that it was very restorable jeez no body is honest these days
Old 11-07-2010, 01:58 PM

Last photo:

1941 cadillac

Well since the '40 hudson didn't turn out to be a deal what about this it's a '41 Cadillac in the ad it says its been stored for 30 years no motor and no transmission for 5,000 I going to post pictures soon but it looks pretty good
Old 11-07-2010, 02:11 PM

Last photo:

Well it IS "restorable", I am just suggesting it is too far gone for YOU. If you are willing to put about fifty times more time than most of us are into a car it IS restorable. Some of use have done as much work but we didn't "choose" too going in.

Brian
Old 11-07-2010, 02:28 PM

Last photo:

Looks like a typical restorable "Michigan" car. You other guys are too spoiled by rustfree cars..

I have a 36 sedan and 47 coupe Hudson. The 36 was only rusted in the drivers floor. Easy fix. The 47 is floorless. I looked at several and they were all more or less the same.

There are complete floors available for early Hudsons. Fron the toe boards to the trunk. Tho, I have the skill and tools to do my own. The only thing I"ve purchased for the 47 is inner rocker panels. They are too long for my brake and I didn't want to piece them.

We live with rust in Michigan. But, like the man said. You gotta have the ability to work with it or the car will not get finished and end up costing more in the long run..
Old 11-07-2010, 02:30 PM

Last photo:

'40 Hudson

Just my 2 cents worth, you MIGHT be able to part it for 900 to a restorer.Then look for something needing less work.(IE time, parts&money) Dont know your location, but there are a lot of reasonably priced cars and projects in the Dakotas, Montana and Idaho, some dealers and some private. Good Luck.
Old 11-07-2010, 02:38 PM

Last photo:

1941 cadillac pictures

no motor or transmission stored for 30 years wondering if its a reasonable deal
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1941 cadillac side2.jpeg
Views:	111
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	49766   Click image for larger version

Name:	1941 cadillac side.jpeg
Views:	126
Size:	91.0 KB
ID:	49767   Click image for larger version

Name:	1941 cadillac rear end.jpeg
Views:	114
Size:	63.7 KB
ID:	49768   Click image for larger version

Name:	1941 cadillac emblem.jpeg
Views:	89
Size:	54.4 KB
ID:	49769  
Old 11-07-2010, 02:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BOBCRMAN@aol.com
Looks like a typical restorable "Michigan" car. You other guys are too spoiled by rustfree cars..

I have a 36 sedan and 47 coupe Hudson. The 36 was only rusted in the drivers floor. Easy fix. The 47 is floorless. I looked at several and they were all more or less the same.

There are complete floors available for early Hudsons. Fron the toe boards to the trunk. Tho, I have the skill and tools to do my own. The only thing I"ve purchased for the 47 is inner rocker panels. They are too long for my brake and I didn't want to piece them.

We live with rust in Michigan. But, like the man said. You gotta have the ability to work with it or the car will not get finished and end up costing more in the long run..
I have always been amazed at how much work someone will put into a car when a plane ride to check out a car with less rust and shipping it back is WAY cheaper!

A guy I know who deals with vintage Chryslers who cut up and threw away a bunch of bodies about as bad as that Hudson. There are stuff here, all over here that is so much nicer and doesn't cost a bit more. Buy one and ship it back. I know I have sold stuff to people all over and it sure seems to work. The last was my 65 Skylark that went to NY, super nice rust free car. The frame and underbody still had shiny paint from the factory, and the zinc plated body bolts could be turned with a ratchet and socket by hand.

The first time I did this it was a 65 Buick Sport Wagon. The guy was from Michigan. It's like I told him on the phone, come to the SF bay area for "vacation", don't come to buy this car, just come for "Vacation" and if you like the car drive it home. That is exactly what he did. The stuff here is so nice it would blow your mind!

Brian
Old 11-07-2010, 03:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by '29chevy
no motor or transmission stored for 30 years wondering if its a reasonable deal

What scares me about that Cad is I DON'T see much rust. This could be good, or it could be covered up. It isn't original paint, at least on the hood, you can see some bondo chipped way to the right of the emblem in the photo. Was an engine swap started where the frame is all cut up? Seems like a LOT of money for that car.

It would take a bunch of work but much more doable than the Hudson, but for over five times as much money? I would keep looking. That hudson is a super cool car and with all the virgin stuff there never touched or hacked up, that is pretty priceless. If that is all cars look like up there, with a lot of rust, it may not be that bad of a car to work with.
But honestly, it is a HUGE project replacing all that metal. It would be apart for a LONG time. But damn it would be cool, very cool cars those Hudsons.

Brian
Old 11-07-2010, 03:37 PM

Last photo:

cars in ontario

ya most of the cheaper classic cars up here have some rust because they use so much salt on the roads in winter eats through everything
Old 11-07-2010, 03:55 PM

Last photo:

Hudson

I know that it's is pretty hard to tell with out physically looking at the car but could someone ball park a amount to get the Hudson going... thanks

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.