40 Merc steering noise (weird) - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2006, 05:37 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

40 Merc steering noise (weird)

I have been building show and race cars for over 30 years and retired but I got talked into one more and this thing is driving me crazy . The car is a 1940 Merc. It has a small block Chev ,Mustang II rack and pin with a stock coll em . Ok hears the problem when you turn the steering wheel about a 1/4 turn it makes a weird noise . It's not a power steering wind noise it's more of a hissing noise . With the steering wheel stopped engine running it still makes that noise .It's like it's coming from the rack and the steering coll em is carrying it into the car. The power steering works great and no leaks and the noise isen't that loud but annoying . it has 2 universals on the feed shaft both under 30 degrees with a dampener new pump and lines. I did rebuild the coll em with new bushings that where in very bad shape but knew this was not going to solve this because it will do it with the wheel turned and holding it still. The Mustang rac and pin where in it when I started working on it so I don't know how new it is
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA6089p.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	8828  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-01-2006, 07:50 PM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

You didn't say anything about doing a pressure check, but I would look at the pressure relief valve. Use a long screwdriver or a mechanics stethoscope to listen to the pump, lines and rack while it is making noise to track it down. You'll probably hear it throughout the system ,but the loudest point is the source of the noise. Be careful of hot and moving parts while doing this. You can forget about the column, it's not there.
check er out
Old 01-01-2006, 09:54 PM

Last photo:

colum

Well it's a chev pump with a ford rac so I did have to shim the valve to lower the presser. I got it within specs and even played with different shims to see if it would make a difference but no change. I know the noise is not in the column it's just transferring the noise all the way up to the steering wheel . The u joints are around 25/28 degrees and new they shouldn't bind but that is really what it feels like . The exhaust manifold is almost dead center in the way of the shaft. It's a 2 joint shaft and I am wondering if I should make a 3 joint shaft but that means attaching it to the frame and I would hate to put that much work in it unless I know for sure thats it.Also I did lessen to it with a stethoscope while it was running and when it starts making that noise it just seams to be the same allover and the lines arn't bent or kinked in anyway which would explain why I'm pulling my hair out on this one LOL
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMGA6089p.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	8839  

Last edited by Da Hellion; 01-01-2006 at 10:02 PM. Reason: I spell like a 5 year old
Old 01-01-2006, 10:03 PM

Last photo:

There are a couple transfer lines on the front of the rack to move fluid from one side to the other. See if one of them has been bent or kinked so it's nearly flat. It sounds like this may be your problem.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:34 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by enjenjo
There are a couple transfer lines on the front of the rack to move fluid from one side to the other. See if one of them has been bent or kinked so it's nearly flat. It sounds like this may be your problem.
You know that's worth looking into because one of them is bent a little .It's not bad but I'll double check that . I am not a power steering expert but I didn't think that could cause this problem. BTW I want to thank all of you for your replies all good so far. And since we are on this subject I have a 72 Ford falcon GT that was in storage for over 7 years .I just picked it up and got it running and the power steering on it makes a whining noise like it's out of fluid but it's full .Heres the catch you can drive it for about 5 miles and its fine then it starts making the noise. It's not leaking which surprises me for sitting that long. I feel like I'm in the Ford power steering Twilight zone
Old 01-02-2006, 02:35 AM

Last photo:

Change the fluid in that Falcon, sounds like it is contaminated with water.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:41 AM

Last journal entry: frame build
Last photo:

Did you try it with the link disconnected? Might be such a thing as you are amplifying a lesser sound through the steering shaft. I don't think so but worth a look. A hiss would indicate a restricted fluid flow. As you worked on the relief, I would start there. Look for a scratch on the poppet or some grit or dirt under it. Try resetting the pressure to GM spec and see if it goes away. Check lines for a restriction or interior separations. A sharp edge on a flare can cause a whistle, but I have only ran across this in high volume, high pressure hydraulics. Go back and listen again. As I said it will seem to be everywhere, but the loudest source is it. A systematic elimination of possibilities will eventually solve it.

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.